"When I see cherry blossom, I see hope.
I look at them and know that they'll bloom no matter what."
"The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom"
Beautiful, but not showy. That is what I can describe the cherry blossom, or more commonly known as sakura.
It has been almost a couple of years since I get to admire the beauty
of sakura. Japan was still in shock with the triple disaster that struck
the nation last year, that the celebrations for this flower, considered
a symbol of hope among the Japanese were kept at minimal. At the same
time, I extended my stay in Malaysia and by the time I returned, the
petals had fell.
This
year, it was like a reunion with a long-lost love with sakura. But
unlike the previous years before this, we can freely plan for a hanami
trip anytime in the past. Now, I have only two days in the weekends
that I get to make any plans for say, a sakura photography outing.
One
thing about sakura is it takes a whole year to bloom, but it will be
gone in just matters of days. That is what that make me fascinated with
them, not just their obvious beauty but the process it goes through.
After the seemingly endless waiting for winter to be over, the sakura is
much anticipated by people come spring. However, sakura hardly stays
for more than a fortnight, and the length will become even shorter if
there's rain or strong wind through the week. That is one reason why it
is more charming; it is its brief beauty that brings lasting happiness.
After a enjoyable hanami with the Malaysians gang at Yoyogi Park
on Saturday, I planned for a photography outing the next day. One of
the best spot for sakura viewing in Tokyo would be in Chidorigafuchi
(千鳥ヶ淵). It is the area in Tokyo that boasts of having the largest number
of people coming to view the glorious sakura during the beginning of
April.
Some university were too smart to have their entrance ceremony at Nippon Budokan on that day, which ultimately doubled the crowd =.=
The
only other time I saw such a dense people in an area would be during
the fireworks festivals in summer. The sea of human there was beyond
explanation. I don't even know where these people come from. It started
all the way from the Tokyo Metro subway station, where they already
started to close of some of the exits which are crowded. The movement of
the crowd was so slow that I guess even the tortoise moves faster. I
kid you not. It takes like more than a minute just to walk a couple of
meters.
It was one of the times I wished I had Doraemon's bamboo chopper (takekoputa) which I can just fix onto my head and fly of from the human traffic jam haha!
The
period where sakura come to full bloom differs according to regions in
Japan. It usually begins in mid-March from the south and slowly move
northwards through the Kansai, Kanto, Tohoku and finally Hokkaido in
May. The best time to view sakura in Tokyo would usually be the first
week of April. One important thing to keep in mind is that sakura
opening dates vary every year, much depending on the weather.
A
classic spot for viewing the sakura, Chidorigafuchi is part of the moat
surrounding the former Edo Castle, conveniently located at the center
of Tokyo. Among the types of sakura trees there, the someiyoshino and yamazakura are the most popular ones, although they are not exactly rich in number.
Chidorigafuchi is a very popular hanami
spot. It is a moat around the Imperial Palace with many sakura trees
alongside it. There are also parks, streets and passes along the
moat. The contrast between the moat or the green sloping lawn and the
cherry blossoms makes a magnificent view. The illuminated sakura at
night allows visitors to see another spectacular aspect of the fully
bloomed sakura, which are also breathtakingly beautiful.
However,
unlike other parks like Yoyogi Park or Ueno Park, visitors are
prohibited from bringing picnic sheet and alcohol. That means it is not
possible to have sakura parties under the lovely sakura trees here.
Nevertheless, visitors can still enjoy a nice soothing time among the
lovely sakura trees all around.
Come, let me tell you an interesting tale about this moat.
Many
many thousand of years ago, it is believe that a blue dragon used to
live in the moat. However, on one faithful day, Mount Fuji erupted and
that scared this dragon so much that he shit damn a lot. That made the
soil in this area very fertile and sakura trees naturally grew by
themselves along the moat. To remember the contribution of the blue
dragon (and his shit; otherwise no sakura trees would have grown here), a
monument was erected at one corner of this park.
Sakura
is the tree that will sympathize with you. If you want to see it as a
sad thing, you can see it as a sad thing. If you want to see it as fun,
you can see it as fun. You can see whatever you want to see reflected in
the cherry blossom. Some people admire the cherry blossom for blooming
after an earthquake. Some people resent the blossoms for looking so
relaxed.
It's sad when flowers die. But when they die it's just so beautiful. There's a word "maichiru" (舞い散る) which means that when blossoms fall, they look like they're dancing. It's beautiful. Even when the flowers fall, we love it. That's the heart of a Japanese person.
Brimming with conceit,
Hiding unpleasant branches,
The proud sakura.
Hiding unpleasant branches,
The proud sakura.
Your fragile petals,
Singing sweet songs with the wind,
Wet with morning dew.
Singing sweet songs with the wind,
Wet with morning dew.
With your brief beauty,
Painful anticipation,
And my agony.
Painful anticipation,
And my agony.
At last you have shown,
The beauty I have longed for.
I reap the reward.
The beauty I have longed for.
I reap the reward.
And I, again, love,
The beauty with pride,
Back into my arms.
The beauty with pride,
Back into my arms.
Hopefully, this spring, though this season of sakura, it will inspire the
people of Japan to keep on rebuilding, the grieving to keep on loving,
and for all of us to keep on supporting the Japanese people because all
these patience and hardwork will be rewarded by something as beautiful
as sakura and as lasting as the happiness it unselfishly shares.
Just
like one of the quote from the documentary, "Human existence is a
moment compared to nature. So we need to be humble and appreciative."
No comments:
Post a Comment