Sunday, July 13, 2008

My First Time Baking - Fudge Brownies

Cooking is one thing, but baking is another thing. Baking will never be the same and being able to cook does not necessarily mean that person can bake at the same time. That is so true, especially to my mum as she can cook wonderful food that it makes me missing her cooking so much when I am abroad, but when it comes to baking, well, let me just put it this way. She barely passes the test. All this while, I post up entries on my cooking but never once did I actually post up anything about baking, because basically, I never baked in my entire life. Okay lah, if helping my mum to stir the cake batter is considered, then it would be quite a number of times. Apart from that, it will be nil.
I have wanted to try her fudge brownies recipe which she posted in her blog not a long distance ago, because it looks rather simple and no baking is involved. But I have been postponing it so many times that I have yet to make it, not until a couple of nights ago. Yes, of so many time, I the crave of making the fudge brownies suddenly came out from nowhere that night, like how girls have that sudden crave to shop. The initial plan was to make it over the weekends but since I had already got all the ingredients needed, I headed to the kitchen to begin my fudge brownies adventure.
I was supposed to crush the biscuits but as always, I do not have the proper utensils for the job. So, I just placed them on the floor and crushed them with my bare hands. But of course, the biscuits were still inside their plastics. However, they didn't become as fine as I would have like it. After doing some deep thinking (kononnyer) and looking around the kitchen, I came out with an idea of smashing them with canned food. And it worked wonders.
I put so much effort in smashing the biscuits, that later even when I went back to my room, I didn't realise that there were still biscuits crumbs sticking on my face. I only saw that when I was went to the sink to wash my hands. No wonder when I was talking to my friends before that, they gave me that kind of weird look. Some more didn't tell me =.=
Anyway, my fudge brownies turned out pretty good I guess.
DSC05997 copy
No bad for a first-timer, don't you think so?
Here is the recipe for the fudge brownies, which I stole it without permission from her blog. You will get about twenty pieces of those fudges with the amount below.
Fudge slice
  • 1 egg
  • 100g butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup sultanas (raisins)
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 225g crushed plain biscuits (malt biscuits is okay as well)
  1. In medium saucepan, add butter and sugar.
  2. Stir until butter and sugar dissolves and bubbles.
  3. Remove from heat, add vanilla and beaten egg.
  4. Then beat well and stir in crushed biscuits and sultanas blending thoroughly.
  5. Press mixture well and while still warm, cover with icing.
  6. Chill it in the fridge for about two hours.

Icing

  • 2 tbsp water
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 80g choc pieces
  1. In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter and water.
  2. Stir over low heat until dissolved and bring to a boil.
  3. Take off the heat and add chocolate pieces stirring until dissolved and cool for five minutes or until good spreading consistency.
DSC05993 copy

I decided to make some minor adjustments to the recipe, mainly because the quantity of the icing part is not really sufficient to cover the amount of fudge slice. Also, the amount of sugar can be reduced if you prefer it to be less sweet, and also because the raisins will provide the sweetness to the brownies too. Thank you for reading and if you are thinking of trying out the recipe, feel free to drop me any questions if you are not very sure of a certain part.
Haha, I am making myself sounding like an information center now wtf.

14 comments:

mj said...

Aha! i saw this in the fridge! i was like whoa calvin so geng one. first time baking tha katachi can be so pretty. much much better than mine though i baked twice already. =(

rojakrojak said...

eh paiseh leh!

i read from the live feed drop down menu the title of post in "Fug Brownie" and I clicked and saw the brownie looks just ok what then i realised it fudge brownie paiseh paiseh kthxbai

calvin said...

@ mj:
haha, i am just lucky that that thing jadi. it was only my first time and i didn't dare to offer it to anyone yet. when i have perfected it soon, then only i will let you guys try it ;)

calvin said...

@ rojakrojak:
haiyo, next time can you not be so lame? why on earth would i make a fug brownie lah >.<

Xjion89 said...

yummy, I wan to try it.XD(^^).

Well, I think I hv to learn hw to bake.

Endoru said...

Hmm, not exactly the type of brownies I know but they look good. Keep the recipes coming in for others that caught your attention.

bik ee said...

aaa...oishisou!!tabetai!mj,dun u bake for me?

Marc said...

Practice makes perfect

K3ViN said...

wah for 1st timer, tat really nice result wor....... how was the taste? yummy?

calvin said...

@ xjion89:
just use your instinct and hope for the best xD

calvin said...

@ endoru:
yes, you are right. it is not brownies, but just fudge slice ;)

calvin said...

@ bik ee:
hehe, glad you like it. i tell you she can really bake =D

calvin said...

@ marc:
yup, indeed :)

calvin said...

@ k3vin:
thanks for the compliment. yes, it tasted not bad, considering that it was my first time baking ;)