Saturday, August 23, 2008

Nagaoka Fireworks Festival 2008 - Part 1

The crying sound of a baby was heard just behind where I was sitting while watching the fireworks festival early this month. I attended the annual Nagaoka Fireworks Festival which is held by the river banks of Shinano River, the longest river in Japan. Deemed as the biggest fireworks festival in Japan with more than 20,000 shots of colourful fireworks though the dark summer sky, this festival attracts people as far as Tokyo to travel all the way here to witness the spectacular display of fireworks.
DSC06484 copy
#1
I brought a group of friends of mine from South Korea, who were halfway through their holiday in Japan this time and I thought we had picked a good spot that night, based on the pictures I managed to capture even without using any extra equipment like tripod, but just my ever-reliable digital camera. Many thanks also to my senpai who had provided place for us that night, otherwise we would have to find some empty areas, which seemed to be an almost impossible task judging from the hundred thousands of people there.
I will keep this entry short and now it is time for pictures.
DSC06556 copy
#2

DSC06508 copy

#3

DSC06450 copy

#4

DSC06558 copy

#5

DSC06514 copy

#6

DSC06448 copy

#7
DSC06495 copy
#8
DSC06550 copy
#
9
DSC06546 copy
#10
DSC06537 copy
#11
DSC06446 copy
#12
DSC06531 copy
#13
DSC06478 copy
#14
DSC06482 copy
#15
DSC06517 copy
#16
DSC06504 copy
#17
DSC06497 copy
#18
So, tell me which is your favourite shot.
I cannot put all of them here because they are simply too many of them. Click here for the rest of the pictures. However, I guess pictures alone will not do explain quite rightly how great the fireworks were. Here are six videos of the fireworks through the night which I have compiled and put together with a background song entitled Jupiter by Hirahaya Ayaka.
#1
#2
#3
#4
#5
#6 Phoenix - the finale.
The feeling between looking at the pictures and videos is a complete different experience, until you get to feel the exhilarating and the excitement sitting under the showers of thousands of fireworks. I just cannot help but to be amazed with the display on that night and there is one thing that happen almost every time I watch the fireworks display in Nagaoka, which do not happen at other fireworks festivals elsewhere.
DSC06473 copy
Taken just before the fireworks burst.
I get emotional.

4 comments:

Endoru said...

All beautiful. *hehe*

calvin said...

@ endoru:
thanks and glad that you like them :)

K3ViN said...

wah sooo nice...... the fireworks really nice nia... i wish i can watch it live lor :P

calvin said...

@ k3vin:
the annual international fireworks festival at putrajaya is not bad actually. you should go and watch it one day ;)