Sunday, September 15, 2013

Yamanote Line Marathon - The Run

"Love it or loathe it, the Yamanote Line rail loop 
keeps the Japanese capital smoothly on track."

Tokyo's humble 34.5 km
Yamanote Line

山手線

I made it!

I have successfully accomplished one of the things that I have always wanted to attempt to do - to run around the famous Yamanote Line loop. Technically speaking, I did not run throughout the course as I made stops at every stations to take photos, and also pit-stops at convenience stores to refuel myself with liquids. In addition, it was more of an alternation between running and walking along the course, especially during the final third of the course when my body was really worn off. So, here is a short recollection on how the run went.

P1600252-001

The starting point, which will also be the finishing point of my Yamanote Line marathon.

I took the 4:40 a.m. train from Kamata station, heading to Tokyo station, which will be my starting point. and also my finishing point. After arriving in Tokyo station around five in the morning, I did the necessary stretching and warm-ups, also pre-run preparations with my equipments like turning on my iPod, running applications on iPhone, etc.

After everything was set and ready, I set off from Tokyo station at 5:20 a.m. sharp, going counter-clockwise around the Yamanote Line, heading to the next stop, which is Kanda station. In the early stages, things went according to plan. I was running for most of the time, keeping the pace at around 7 minutes per kilometer. Throughout the journey, I relied on my trustworthy Google Map to make sure I was running on the right route.

P1600254-001

You can see how much I was sweating already.

As soon as I saw the first glimpse of Kanda station, I got excited and increased my running pace. It was still very early in the morning when I finally arrived at Kanda station. Looking around, I spotted a lady at the exit and I had her to take a photo of mine in front of the station. I was sweating profusely and this kind lady offered tissue for me. Just the perfect start for this long journey. Before I left, she wished me all the best and I thanked her. First stop down, and 28 more to go.

The stops along the course would be - Tokyo → Kanda → Akihabara → Okachimachi → Ueno → Uguisudani → Nippori → Nishinippori → Tabata → Komagome → Sugamo → Ōtsuka → Ikebukuro → Mejiro → Takadanobaba → Shin-Ōkubo → Shinjuku → Yoyogi → Harajuku → Ebisu → Meguro → Gotanda → Ōsaki → Shinagawa → Tamachi → Hamamatsuchō → Shinbashi → Yūrakuchō → Tokyo.  

In total, there will be 29 stations, covering a distance of approximately 34.5 kilometers.

P1600264-001

Otaku freak lining up at the game stores in Akihabara when it is not even six in the morning!

P1600290-001

Tokyo Sky Tree seen on the way from Uguisudani to Nippori.

P1600304-001

Arrived at Tabata station at 07:20. Almost one-third of the journey and I clearly looked very much energetic still.

P1600314-001

Something I have never knew at all of its existance this while. Tram lines running at Ōtsuka station.

P1600326-001

The famous yet mysterious white windowless tower near Ikebukuro. It is actually Toshima garbage factory, and more precisely, the incinerator's chimney

P1600336-001

A poster to commemorate Tokyo's successful bid for the summer Olympic Games in 2020.

P1600342-001

Finally at the mid-point of the journey. Takadanobaba station marks the 14th stop.

However, after one-third of the run, I began to feel some tight muscle pain on my legs. This is mainly down to my lack of training, so it was something I had expected to happen sometime during the run. Things did not get better as the temperature rises very quickly and the scorching sun did not help either.

As I had consumed my two packets of energy jelly, I started to make trips to the convenience store to grab some drinks I desperately needed. In total, I consumed 3.4 litres of liquids, 3 packets of energy jelly, 1 onigiri (rice ball), 1 ice-cream (this was to keep me motivated to finish off the run lol!).

P1600350-001

My first encounter with Shinjuku station was in the Japanese text book more almost nine years ago.

P1600349-001

One of the features of the west side of Shinjuku station - the high-rise skyscrapers.

P1600359-001

Arrived at the fashion town of Tokyo - Harajuku station.

P1600365-001

Hachiko statue, by far the most famous thing at Shibuya station.

P1600367-001

This amazing scramble crossroad at Shibuya station is also a well-known attraction.

P1600375-001

Ebisu statue at Ebisu station. This marks the two-third point of the journey.

P1600395-001

Toko Hotel at Gotanda station. This hotel was the very first stop I made when I first came to Japan in April 2007.

As I arrived at Gotanda station, it was already 11:45 a.m. There are still more than a quarter of the journey to cover and hence, my six-hour target was not achieved. However, the record on Runkeeper showed that I have already covered more than 36 kilometers at that point. So, in some sense, my 30-km-in-6-hour target was actually achieved, although I have not finished my one loop around the Yamanote Line.

I left Gotanda and head next to Ōsaki station. At this time, the temperature had rose to thirty degree and that was a real killer, especially when there was almost no shades along the route. As the track makes a sharp curve between Ōsaki station and Shinagawa station, I tried to stay as close to the track, because the route in Google Map suggested a much shorter router. 

However, on the final third of the journey, the combination of muscle pain, lack of training, the heat were too much to bear and I literally walked for most part of the journey. As I arrived at Shinagawa station, I had the thought of maybe I should just abandon this thing and take the train home lol! But my effort would come to nothing and I decided to push myself and finish off this journey irregardless how long will it take.

P1600404-001

Arrived at the oldest station in Japan - Shinagawa station. Face is smiling but the leg muscle was actually screaming in pain lol!

P1600403-001

Gigantic "Visit Malaysia 2014" advertisement in front of Shinagawa station.

P1600411-001

Cute little boats spotted on the way from Tamachi station to Hamamatsuchō station.

P1600413-001

Had a tourist to take this photo for me.

P1600425-001

Shinbashi is the original terminus of Japan's first stretch of railway, the Tōkaidō Main Line.

P1600419-001

Oldies seen playing traditional Japanese board game in front of the station.

P1600431-001

Finally! The final traffic light before I head to finish off this long journey!

As I left Yurakuchō station, the 28th stop, I knew my goal was not very far away. The excitement really came in, and somehow, I found that extra energy to make the final surge towards the finishing line. No more walking and it was all about running all the way to Tokyo station. As soon as I caught the first glimpse of the red brick building of Tokyo station, I was screaming in my heart, "Ohh! Finally!"

The song, "I'm Coming Home" just hit me and around 2:30 p.m., I successfully finished this amazing journey.

P1600434-001

Could not believe it myself that I had actually returned to the point where I started earlier in the morning.

The total distance I covered was 50.4 kilometer. That is 20 kilometers longer than the Yamanote Line track. I estimated that my run would take somewhere around 40 kilometers, but for unknown reasons, it ended up more than 50 kilometers haha!

Total time I took was 8 hours 48 minutes 15 seconds, averaging about 10 minute 29 seconds per kilometer. This time is almost 3 hours longer than my target. Nevertheless, after considering the facts that I made stops at every stations for about 5 minutes (5 minutes x 29 stations = about 2.5 hours), the time was not too bad actually.

yamanote line run 

Photos taken in front of all 29 stations of the Yamanote Line.

Here are some quick facts about my run:
  • Total distance: 50.4 km
  • Total time: 8 hours 48 minutes 15 seconds
  • Average pace: 10 minutes 29 seconds per kilometer
  • Calories burned: 4,180 calories
  • Number of stations: 29 stations
  • Number of Wards covered: 9 Wards (Chiyoda, Taitō, Arakawa, Kita, Toshima, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Shinagawa, Minato)
Screen shot 2013-09-15 at 8.38.15 
AM.png

A total distance of more than 50 kilometers. Can I now call myself CtC (Calvin the Tokyo Conqueror)? Hahaha!
 
The muscle pain, especially around the back thigh and calf was quite bad, although it was not as bad compared to my full marathon run last year. This time at least, I still manage to walk up and down the stairs like a normal person lol! After my run, I took the train from Tokyo station back home. And in a split seconds, the train has passed several stations. Now I have learned how to appreciate the existence of trains haha!

Just like those people who have conquered Mount Fuji and swore that they would not climb it again for the second time, I don't think I am going to do this crazy run for the second time. But who knows, if anyone is interested to give it a try, I might join the fun (and pain lol!) together.

A few things to note after finishing this run:
  • Bring along wet tissue to clear your face and body from the salt that appear after your sweat had dried off.
  • This might sound wrong, but it is recommended to stick plaster to your nipples because the friction between the shirt and nipple will be very painful after some time.
  • Check the route on Google Map from time to time, to make sure you are on the correct route.
  • Never use your instinct too much, because running to a dead-end will make you lose quite some time.
  • Make sure you take sufficient amount of liquid after the run. No matter how much I drank, I still find myself thirsty on the first day lol!
  • Get a warm (cold, for my case) shower and proper rest after the run to get the body recover faster.
Some of my friends actually asked me why I did this; whether or not it has to do with the Chiba Kun Ambassador thing. To put it simple, it was just for my personal satisfaction. I find that through this run, I have realised the importance of setting a goal, and how to work hard towards achieving that goal. 

Now that I have successfully conquered the Yamanote Line, I already have a new plan in my mind. A much bigger plan and more detailed preparations is required for this one. If everything goes smoothly, I will try to accomplish it by the end of this year. Anyone fancy making a guess what would it be?

And by the way, a big Happy 50th Birthday, Malaysia. You have came a long way and this is my little present for you :D

4 comments:

Cliff Cheng said...

さすがだな!
僕は自転車で行ってみたいけどな。(笑)

calvin said...

@ Cliff Cheng:
Going around the loop on a bike sounds interesting too! Looking forward to hear your experience if you ever do it! ^.^

Annizam said...

Calvin, this is an amazing feat. I have dreamt about running the Yamanote Line route when I prepared for Tokyo Marathon 2013 but I think it will be a bit more taxing on my body. I noticed that you have ran in New Balance 890v2. How do you rate the shoe for long distance? I have used this shoe for run up to 10k before and it performed well.

calvin said...

@ Annizam:
Thanks for your compliment Annizam :D

I'm not sure but I don't personally think that the Yamanote Line route will be the best course for a marathon practice, considering the many obstacles (traffic lights, crowd, dead-end, etc.).

Anyway, great spot-on my shoe! This pair of shoe has stayed loyal to me for a good one year and clocked more than 500 kilometers! And it is still in a very good condition. I guess it's worth every yen I paid for this shoe :D