Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Final First Snow

IMG_2186
This chicken has found a new home in Nagaoka.
As predicted, it started to snow last night in Nagaoka, around six in the evening.
During my first time witnessing snow, I joined the rest of my batch mates to go crazy on the first morning we saw snow. That was two years back, in late November 2007. Last year, the excitement I felt was much toned down but still, the first snow is always something interesting to anticipate it. Even though this is the third time I looked out the window and saw the white fine snow flakes started to fall from the sky, the excitement is still there.
IMG_2166
Taken with flash to show the snow flakes more clearly.
IMG_2167
That is the dormitory cafeteria at ten at night.
IMG_2175
Same angle taken ten hours later.
IMG_2168
Tennis courts on the right.
IMG_2174
Tennis courts turned white the next morning.
I was in the kitchen cooking Japanese curry for my dinner and Aki opened the window and soon realised that it had started to snow. That was my first time seeing the snow flakes this year.
The next morning, as expected, almost everything was white. I sent this picture below, taken from my room to several friends just for fun. Unexpectedly, Kok Hong, who is in Miyazaki, Kyushu replied me with a picture of his place in return haha. It was a sunny morning in Miyazaki. I got a reply from Cliff in Tokyo as well.
My message was, "ohayou"
SBCA0017
Nagaoka, December 15, 2009 at 08:23 a.m.
Kok Hong's reply was this - "おはよう"
SH3C0034
Miyazaki, December 15, 2009 at 08:29 a.m.
December 11, 2009 at 14:08 p.m.
This is the reply from Cliff - "こんにちは!10度くらいだ"
2009121514130000
Tokyo, December 15, 2009 at 14:16 p.m.
It is already mid-December and this year, I would say it started to snow much later than two previous years. The simplest cause that we can infer would be global warming, I suppose? Furthermore, the amount of snow on the first night was relatively lesser than one year ago. Again, global warming is the most likely cause of this phenomenon.
One this I love about this kind of weather is that when it snow heavily at night, it would be a sunny day the next morning. The sky would turn blue, sun will be shining brightly and unless the wind blows, the temperature would be just perfect; not too cold or too hot. I took a stroll around my school compound the next morning since I have no classes before lunch.
IMG_2188
That is the indoor gymnasium on the left.

IMG_2191
Freezing pool and the field.
IMG_2197
No more activities on the artificial-grass field from now onwards, I guess.
IMG_2182
Rice fields covered with snow as well.
IMG_2180
A random signboard just in case you are lost in the school compound haha.
This would be my final winter in Nagaoka, and I suppose I shall treasure the snow as much as I could. Saying this, wait till I start to complain about how troublesome it can get when the real heavy snow is here haha.

19 comments:

kh said...

oh you wanted a live picture is it...tell la..... that was taken a few days back la... dec 11 at 1408pm

and wow;... my phone camera quality damn good sial.... さすがSHARP ... nice ... haha

CLF said...

lol nice pics!
was a local bank just now when I took the pic.
geotag: 東京都荒川区南千住1-32-9

~Live Life~ said...

Yea...u indeed have quite some nice pics there...

At first I was still thinking about how u took that pic wif snow falling!?!? kena tipu...

Anyway, nice one! Enjoy it as much as u can yea...anyway...my first snow happened when skiing in Korea...really really excited back then...

=chuan guan= said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhh......so beautiful..send me send send me send me........pls pls pls pls pls pls pls...especially da snow flakes one...

calvin said...

@ kh:
how i know you would reply me with a picture from your place. but it should be almost the same anyway =P

haha, now only i got your pun lol!
but yea, you picture is really sharp. how many megapixels?

calvin said...

@ clf:
thanks for the picture from tokyo :)
never thought you would send me one as well haha xD

calvin said...

@ ~live life~:
haha, just added the application today, which i think it suits the entry perfectly xD

talking about skiing, i have tried only once; not a fan of winter sports, really >.<

calvin said...

@ =chuan guan=:
okay, i will send the pictures to you ;)

Ken said...

Kirei desune...
Like the snowy white scenery!
Last winter in Nagaoka?

I haven't visit Japan lar, and u're about to move already.

Where's ur next place?

~Live Life~ said...

I know why you don't like winter sports...haha!

Coz..ur center of gravity is too high...LOL!

fufu said...

yeah i know your feeling back in 2007... mine first time was around dec 2002 =p anyway my first snow in europe was last month... check out my latest entry :) hohohoho

ahKOK said...

cool..i like snowing..wonder when malaysia will have it... haha

calvin said...

@ ken:
this is just the first day. when the snow starts to accumulate, the scenery would be much nicer; almost like a dreamland :)

yes, this would be my last winter in nagaoka as i would be moving to tokyo from next year onwards ;)

calvin said...

@ ~live life~:
yes, you got that absolutely correct! haha =P

besides, it is hard to find the sports equipments that fits me nicely >.<

calvin said...

@ fufu:
it must be a different experience to see the snow from a different part of the world, isn't it?

calvin said...

@ ahkok:
malaysia? i think it will only begin to snow in malaysia, when male can begin giving birth to babies lol! xD

iya said...

michi la u

Anonymous said...

why last?

calvin said...

@ anonymous:
i will be moving to tokyo in several months time, after my college graduation in march next year. so, this would be my last winter in nagaoka :)