Saturday, March 28, 2009

Seoul - Summary Of Day 9

DSC08066
The bottle of soju which we ordered during the buffet dinner tonight.

  • My initial plan was to go out early today but it was already ten plus when I woke up. Took my morning shower and got myself ready. Stopped at the nearby 7 Eleven to grab some muffin and another shop to have some Korean dumplings. It was just a plain one, with some vegetable (kimchi, I suppose) with some meat as the fillings.
  • While I was inside the subway, one guy came into the coach and started distributing some papers. I didn't read them because it was in Korean. After a while, he made another round in the coach and collect back his papers. That was the time I figured out that he was asking for some money and I assume those things written on the paper surely must be about his plea for some money from the commuters.
  • Managed to locate the Seodaemun Prison but I found out that I went inside it through some unlocked side gate, instead of the main entrance. So, I save myself from paying for the entrance fee. Photographs are not allowed at most part of the prison but it was quite an eerie experience to walk around that area where it used to keep the Korean civilians during the Japanese invasion.
  • Wanted to visit Soedaemun Independence Park which is just next to the prison bu too bad it's currently undergoing some renovation work. In fact, the prison is also being renovating at the moment.
  • I tried to get to Geongbukgung but somehow I wasn't sure of the exact way. So, I went into a police office to get some help. Too bad he barely speak any English and two of his young trainees were laughing at him while he was struggling to explain to me the direction. I gave up and figured out the way myself in the end.
  • I was walking to my next destination when an old lady who was sitting on a bench waved to me. She was mumbling in Korean which I didn't understand a word of course. From the body language, I roughly figured out that she wanted me to help her up the slope ahead. It took me a second thought whether or not I should help her; as you know there are a lot of cases nowadays where people get conned in such a way that some strangers will ask for directions or help, but that is not the real intention; instead, they will rob or injure you.
  • However, she was just an old lady and I thought it won't do me any harm. Helped her to walk up the slope as she continued to mumble to me; I just smiled in return. I think she was saying something about my hand when he held it; maybe my hand felt cold. Continued my journey after she was up the slope and I had a nice feeling for getting to help some elderly. Hope she reached her destination safely.
  • Reached Geongbukgung and it so happened that my timing was perfect to watch the guard changing ceremony at the entrance of the palace. Tried to asked for the information to visit Cheongwadae, the official residence of the President of the Republic of Korea, but it required us to make a reservation ten days earlier at least. Visited the National Palace Museum of Korea instead and spent almost two hours inside the museum which displays the collections of art and objects from the palaces of Joseon.
  • Stopped to had some light snack on my way back. Had two sticks of eomuk and also a piece of Korean wheat cheese onion cake at a pastry shop. Took the subway back home as we planned to have dinner together later that night.
  • Skype a while with baby as usual and went out to join the others for a buffet dinner; they call it samgyeopsal here in Korea. It is definitely different from Japanese yakiniku, as in the taste and how the barbecue the meat which I find it unique. They place a flat steel board tilted slightly and placed the meat on an aluminium foil. The oil from the meal will run flow down the board that makes the meat slightly cripsy yet tender. During the dinner, two of their girls' senior joined us as well.
  • We also ordered one bottle of soju, the equivalent of sake in Japan because they said I should try them at least once. I'm not really into drinking but it was much milder compared to sake although the alcohol content was around 18 percent. Drank two cups at one go.
  • Came back and Skyped with baby and my cousin, Reena in Perth. Reena took me to tour her house with her laptop and even introduced me to her pet dog, named Snoopy. Lame name, right? Anyway, managed to see the other three of my long lost cousins and also talked a while to my aunt.
  • Made this update and will sleep after this. Not planning for tomorrow as Heng Chiang will join me to Suwon tomorrow, my final day in South Korea.

10 comments:

MichelleG said...

haha poor l-o-l (lil old lady). anyway old ladies can b con man as well, i saw a show in korea whereby the old lady n her son would pakat n con ppl. =P

specialhuman said...

well she couldn't con u coz u can't understand korean :)

Cieri said...

Woh!illegal entrance!dun forget to buy souvenirsss for me tau~!kesian tau, I went nowhere.ahahahaha~

MichelleG said...

haha u know john (korean guy in my group) told me i can buy soju from a korean shop =P

calvin said...

@ michelleg:
yea, that is what i feared initially; but luckily, i was safe and sound in the end =)

calvin said...

@ specialhuman:
she could have taken out a knife and demanded me for some money; but like you said, it will be useless 'coz i wouldn't know what she was telling me xD

calvin said...

@ cieri:
everybody is asking me for souvenirs. well, come to my place and claim them as i got them ready already =D

calvin said...

@ michelleg:
don't tell me you gonna get drunk with him =\

Cieri said...

insya ALLAH I will.bcoz,my sensei want me to apply for Gidai.
>.<
so spare some for me k?

calvin said...

@ cieri:
i guess there is no other escape routes for me >.<