Sunday, January 11, 2009

Truly Japan

Short note: Every time I am back to Malaysia or Japan, I tend to forget to change the time of my laptop. I didn't know that my laptop time was still showing Malaysian time just now, until Michelle asked me to go to bed early, because I am going for a trip tomorrow. Oh yea, this post is actually done after she requested me to blog about the sakura mochi bun below.
Just to take a break from my winter holiday posts in Malaysia, let me do a short post which has a little bit of Japanese touch, just to show that I'm back in Japan already and avoid any confusions, in case anyone still thinks that I am still enjoying my time back home. I will start off with a short update about my life here. I've resumed my class for the final part of my second semester of the forth year (another year for me to go before I graduate from Nagaoka Kosen) and after my finals on the first week of February, I will be having a one-month long spring break. I'm still thinking about what should I do during that period. Traveling? Doing part-time job? Or the simplest one would be to hibernate in my room lol. Decisions, decisions to be made. Also, about my decision whether to sit for the entrance exam or just go for recommendations after I complete my diploma course here and continue on my degree. I would be really appreciative if anyone, especially senpais who can offer their opinions on this matter.
It wasn't snowing in Nagaoka when I was back last Wednesday, but from last weekend, it started to snow and I could see that the snow is starting to accumulate. Here comes to another white Chinese New Year. It is better, compared to last year because I won't have any papers yet on the first day, my finals will only start a week later. So, this time there will only be classes for me on the first day and I am truly grateful for it already. Like that also so happy already; so sad, right?
DSC04253
The main building of my college.
DSC04252
This amount of snow is considered quite little because when it really snows, it is so much worse than this.
DSC04250
Even the water in the pond in front of my dormitory was frozen due to the temperature.
Back to the topic for this post, just two simple stuff.
DSC04221
Toilet's directory board.
The first one would be this interesting signboard put in front of a public toilet inside the train station in Ueno. I have seen a TV program not very long ago, about various ways to decrease the traffic on roads, train platforms and also toilets, especially the ladies. So, one of the way they use is by putting up a signboard like the picture above and there is a small bulb for every room in the toilet to indicate whether it is occupied or otherwise. So, instead of rushing into the toilet whenever there is an emergency, people can just take a look on the board before going into the toilet.
Well, that is how it works but I still wonder how would this board help to decrease the traffic in toilet. Perhaps whenever people see all the toilets' rooms are occupied, they will look for another toilet, hence that will make sure that particular toilet will not be too crowded. Anyway, I know my explanation is insufficient and I doubt if anyone would even understand me in the first place.
DSC04222
A closer look at the signboard.
Next up is about food. Well, I just cannot separate myself from food.
DSC04242
Sakura mochi fuu mini pan (bread).
DSC04249
The white stuff is the sakura mochi, layered in between the red bean paste.
I saw this sakura mochi red bean bun when I was doing my weekly groceries last weekend. The normal ones I usually see is just red bean bun, but this one managed to grab my attention. Inside the bun, they put in a layer of sakura mochi (sweet pink rice cake) to go along with the red bean. It offers something new and I would say it was not bad. The sticky and fragrant sakura mochi combines well with the sweet red bean paste, together with the bun.
One packet consisting of four small buns cost 100 yen (RM3), but considering the current exchange rate, it would be RM 3.70.

18 comments:

MichelleG said...

i like the toilet idea leh.. really can reduce toilet jam for female toilet lor! damn sien one everytime hav to line up.. =[

Endoru said...

Sakura mochi fuu mini pan.
Wow, that's rare.
Really wanna try. :D

calvin said...

@ michelleg:
i wonder why girls have to go to the toilet so often and it must be so long each time xD

calvin said...

@ endoru:
yup, that is why i decided to try it :)

MichelleG said...

cos of the anatomical position of our bladder.. =( and have to freshen up ourselves.. just to look nice again.. =.=

Duke oF mASK said...

if i ever got to japan i will try to find everything related to doreamon , haha!, imagine dorayaki , i have always wondered what is so nice about it , why does doreamon like it so much , etc....and is doreamnon popular there?

lyk said...

受験を受けましょう.*:)

calvin said...

@ michelleg:
i thought they are almost identical? don't worry, you look nice all the time to me =)

calvin said...

@ duke of mask:
dorayaki would be like a pancake, with red bean paste as the filling. i don't eat it often to be honest. anyway, i guess doraemon is so popular here because the japanese have grown up watching it since they were young :)

calvin said...

@ lyk:
頑張りましょう lol xD

specialhuman said...

they should just install a camera inside the toilet and show it on the screen outside the toilet so that people will faster finish their business and the toilet won't be so crowded lo. XD

and i like the snow thing.

Snowy snowy~

and i like the red bean thing.

Why not u take a photo of u eating the red bean sakura mochi roti in the snow? XD

MichelleG said...

haha agree with special human!!! by request~~ =P

calvin said...

@ specialhuman:
only perverted people like you will come out with such an idea =.=

you like everything, but me? how sad is that =\

calvin said...

@ michelleg:
harh? are you sure? which one? the former or the latter suggestion? i hope it's not the former one >.<

anyway, now the weather is too cold that i try to hibernate inside my room for as much as possible =)

Endoru said...

One more thing.
100 yen = RM 4 lately already.

MichelleG said...

of course the latter one!!! hahaha... :)

*hugs*

calvin said...

@ endoru:
yea, what a good timing to bring yen to be spent at home at this time =D

calvin said...

@ michelleg:
how i know you wor xD

*hugs back*