Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Hatsuyuki

Apparently, snow chose to visit my place a tad earlier than last year.
DSC01948
This is a picture taken in front of my dormitory at 11.40 this morning.
DSC02024
This is how it looked like the next morning exactly at the same spot.
The sky looked unusual this morning when I was walking to my class. It was freezing cold and cloudy, with some light breeze blowing through my jacket. The mountains in the far background were totally invisible from the thick clouds. However, I saw some snow caps at the top of the mountains far behind my college during my way to the class later that morning. But I never thought it would snow this early.
I was having my CAD drawing class this evening, when one of my Japanese classmate opened the window and the next thing he did after he put his head outside was he looked in and shouted, "雪だ!雪降ってるよ!" (Yuki da! Yuki futteru yo!")
"It's snow! It's snowing!"
DSC01962
Usually, it will only snow this much in mid-December.
DSC01969
At five in the evening. In less than two hours, the snow has started to accumulated on the lecturers' cars.
Even though these Japanese kids have seen snow since they were young kids, 初雪 (hatsuyuki) or "first snow" always remain special to them. This is the time when everyone will get excited, including myself. Unlike last year, the hatsuyuki this year was rather heavy and thick, that people have began using umbrella outside.
Some construction work is currently going on at two of my dormitory blocks at the moment; mine included. They set up a few platforms just next to my window, in which I will be be awaken by the knocking sound every morning. By in some ways, it serves as my natural alarm clock.
DSC01973
I just have to open my window and make ais kacang from the snow flakes.
Despite so, this excitement won't last long and soon enough, we will be complaining about wet shoes, slippery roads and super freezing cold and strong winds. The next morning, as I expected, it was totally white everywhere.
DSC01987
The main entrance to my college.
DSC01984
The rooftop of all the buildings in my college are covered in snow already.
DSC02020
Even the bench and the resting place is white.
DSC01991
The water in the pool must be freezing cold and I bet nobody dares to jump into the pool.
DSC02003
This is the school field which has turn into a bed of snow.
DSC01974
Tennis court just behind my dormitory cannot be used anymore from now on.
DSC01994
Paddy fields behind my dormitory.
Yet, snowball game is the one I am waiting for at the moment.

18 comments:

syaza said...

so fast! my place yuki x mau turun la..have to do d yuki dance..

kh said...

light breeze... kacang ah... the wind here is craaaaaaaaaaazy
and ... and....
i mentioned in my facebook status but i mention here...
2 days ago at 3am, it was 14.9C .... this morning at 3am... it was 3.5C ... my term for cold is not the same as yours... i want my fridge back.....lol

TZ said...

I missed snow ... especially the first snow.

calvin said...

@ syaza:
what is yuki dance? if you dance it, will it start snowing? if i do that in malaysia, will it snow too? xD

calvin said...

@ kh:
you place is weird lol...
who ask you to give way your fridge? i misplaced it already. when i found it, then only i will return it to you xD

calvin said...

@ tz:
it will be no more fun from then onwards though >.<

elaine said...

wa~~~~
it's beautiful~
It's about 15c here..not so cold..
yuki yuki~

Cieri said...

tahun ni pelik....
only november but the temperature macam dah bulan 1....
n the yuki DID fall kat niihama yesterday...
kejap aja like few minutes...
tapi seyes awal gile cos last year,january baru turun....

MichelleG said...

ur lecturer's car the second from right is so cuteee kawaiii hahaha :P

calvin said...

@ elaine:
you say it's beautiful because you don't have to face snow every single day. when it snows everyday in the place you live, then that is the time you will start to hate snow >.<

calvin said...

@ cieri:
yes, i heard that it snows down there as well (pun unintended) xD

when people keep on talking about global warming and such things, the opposite thing is happening right now. the world is getting weirder day by day, isn't it?

anyway, you will get more than enough snow during the ski trips =)

calvin said...

@ michelleg:
haha, you mean that terbantut car? actually, there is another one which is shorter and the height is just slightly above my waist. looks just like a toy car =)

specialhuman said...

I covered my room with wools to imagine it's snowing

Never seen snow in my life.

>.<

calvin said...

@ specialhuman:
then i guess you make good friend with sheep, don't you? xD

=chuan guan= said...

aw..v beautiful with all the snow around..nice shot...haiz

calvin said...

@ =chuan guan=:
thanks :)

sheryl0202 said...

beautiful snowy scenery...

calvin said...

@ sheryl0202:
yes, indeed it is =)