Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A Malaysian Cooking A Siamese Dish In Japan

"Didn't you see him came in with his notes just now?"
My junior was referring to the two pieces of paper I brought into the kitchen. Exactly one week after I am back to Japan, this is only the first time I cooked something for my daily meal. Prior to this day, I had so many packets of Maggi's instant noodle that I swear I will never have it for at least another month or so. On other occasions, I went outside to eat, and over the weekends, I had a Raya party with the rest of the Malaysians here. Back to the notes, it has nothing to do with my study notes, but it was the recipe written by my mum when I was back home. Since I imported some lengkuas (galanga), serai (lemon grass) and daun limau purut (Kaffir lime leaves) back to Japan this time, I get to cook nicer stuff.
It was quite simple; I just had to dump all the ingredients into the blender, then saute them in a pan. That is less than thirty minutes and this is the result.
DSC00814
Kheng Thei, which means Siamese gulai.
It is almost as good as my mum's cooking. Really.

20 comments:

TZ said...

Yummy!...

Endoru said...

Sigh, wished we could have easier ways to get those fresh materials. Other than lengkuas, serai and daun limau purut, just wished they had those bawang merahs here in Japan. We can work so much miracles with those ingredients back at home.

Knight said...

Wow...it looks like a nice dish...is it really that simple?

K3ViN said...

wah look yummy nia..... the bad thing is i hungry now... no yet lunch yet lor... ohhh my...... do u use santan??

Mr.Brightside said...

HI, i am a first timer here , i was just wondering are u mixed? ur mom and sis looks mixed like indian or malay ...and the dish u made is very curry-like , ....lol...just wanted to know....

calvin said...

@ tz:
hehe. yes, it turned out not bad ;)

calvin said...

@ endoru:
yes, very true. i suppose you mean those local red bawang besar and bawang merah, right? actually there is a way to get those - by ordering through the internet, but it will cost a bomb >.<

calvin said...

@ knight:
yes, it is that simple. but of course with some other ingredients as well ;)

calvin said...

@ k3vin:
i see you are used to cooking too, right? yes, santan is poured inside when it is almost done ;)

calvin said...

@ mr. brightside:
hi, thanks for paying a visit to my blog. yes, i am a mixed blood child, but no, neither my mum or my sister is a malay nor indian. it will be a long story if i explain it here. perhaps i could make an entry about my roots one day ;)

actually i was supposed to use some kunyit in the gulai, but i forgotten about it. anyway, it is something in between rendang and curry :)

K3ViN said...

me seldom cooking lor.. my mother no allow me touch the dapur lor.... i like to cook but too bad she no allow me lor... the colour is show it been pour with santan lor... tat y i wanna confirm lor...... yummy nia...

Endoru said...

Yeah, I mean without having to order through internet lor. :) Like able to buy from supermarkets normally like back at home. Yes, it is those bawang merah besar and kecil.

calvin said...

@ k3vin:
i think you mum is just afraid that you will burn the whole kitchen and she will not have a place to cook anymore the next time xD

calvin said...

@ endoru:
i usually just get them from behind my house. how i wish the supermarkets here sell those stuff. and yes, the onions here are not as nice as what we get at home =/

Alan Tan said...

It look Yummy!

Cheers,
alan
http://www.alantanblog.com/

K3ViN said...

ohh my like tat also can kah? haha.... she just dont wan me disturb her cooking lor :P

calvin said...

@ alan tan:
thanks :)

calvin said...

@ k3vin:
why not? not only you always disturb her when she cooks, i am sure you often steal some of the stuff that she just cooked, right? =P

K3ViN said...

haha smart wor..... haha yup... sometimes cant tahan lor..... steal the food tat she cook lor :P

calvin said...

@ k3vin:
naughty boy! but actually, i do that all the time =P