Thursday, October 23, 2008

I Lost My Virginity

Not to the opposite sex, but to Genki Sushi.
Do you know how hard it is for us who are studying abroad to take it, when we see people posting up pictures of local food in their blogs? Well, it is like someone who feels like shitting, but when he or she sits on the toilet bowl, the shit just wouldn't come out. So, it feels like we are trying to release something, that is our craving for local food, but it just wouldn't happen. Okay, perhaps I should stop talking about shit, because I have had enough of shit recently.
We always say people who show us those pictures of food are cruel, because they know we will not get to taste them, but yet, they still show to us on purpose. But why not we think the say way, and do exactly the same thing to these people, isn't it? I am studying in Japan, but sometimes I feel that the pictures of food that I post up are mostly Malaysian food, as I do not blog on the Japanese food I have here. So, I will do this time time, in this very post.
DSC01251
It was this dark at five-thirty in the evening.
Well, it may sound quite amazing here, but I have never stepped my foot into any Genki Sushi restaurant after more than one and a half year living in Japan. Pretty sad case, ain't it? Anyway, my fellow Malaysians friends were talking about sushi recently, and we decided to have a sushi dinner that night. After all, it has been some time since I last had sushi in Japan, and I should treat myself to some nice food once in a while.
Here are the sushi I had, which I reckon will make at least some of you to start drooling over them at the end of this post.
DSC01252
サーモンペッパー炙り - Saamon peppaa aburi | My friend introduced this one to me, in fact, they ordered ten plates of this for five of us immediately after we took our seat, without needing to ask who wants this first. But it was indeed a perfect choice. The sauce with the pepper used made it taste something like bak kua (roasted pork).
DSC01257
げその唐揚げ - Geso no karaage | Deep-fry squid's legs. It is best eaten while it is still hot.
DSC01260
とびっこ - Tobikko | It means flying fish roe, and what I love most about this is that I get to feel the tiny fish roe when I bite on them.
DSC01262
びん長まぐろ - Bin chou maguro | This was just plain tuna, nothing special about it.
DSC01266
うなぎ蒲焼 - Unagi kabayaki | To be honest here, this is the worst unagi I have ever eaten so far because the meat is too soft and not tender at all.
DSC01269
サーモン大とろ - Saamon ootoro | Notice the gold colour of the plate? This plate cost 231 yen (RM 7.40) but it was worth it. The raw fatty flesh of tuna fish really gave me that orgasmic feeling.
DSC01274
サーモン - Saamon | I know she likes this very much.
DSC01277
えびフライ - Ebi furai | Just like the karaage, this one is also best eaten while it is still hot. The crispy bread crumbs covering the big prawns inside with some mayonnaise as the topping was too good to handle.
DSC01280
焼サーモン - Yaki saamon | The roasted salmon. It was not bad.

Ten plates of sushi, to give me full sanctification for the night.
Anyway, one thing about my style of eating sushi is that I always have a slow start, and more often than not, I will be the one with the least of plates during the early stage. I prefer to take it easy at first, without much rushing. In between that, I will take some sips of hot green tea while chatting away with my friends. Slowly but surely, I will begin to catch up and in the end, I find myself becoming among the one with the highest stack of plates.
DSC01281
My stack of plates is the one on the front left.
Drooling now?

31 comments:

Ai-Ling said...

those photos of sushi would certainly make anyone drool :P

alex said...

WHOA!!!

they look sooo deliicous! nice pics!

so you're still a virgin?? just kidding ^^ peace

syaza said...

hahhahaha..gile ar! sini nye genki sushi x d pun salmon black pepper..ces!! tako goreng tu pun x da!! nanti ak g main snobod bawa ak makan!

Endoru said...

Yes. :)
Anyway, you choose the same things I do as well. Love salmon the most as well and the aburi looks real good.

=chuanguan= said...

regretted click on ur this post..damn!!!

ns29 said...

how much u paid?
(money still the most important matter for me)
LOL

Eric Sng said...

yummy! Its look nicer and better than the ones here in kuching. Can tapau some home? Haha

Reenybob said...

either way, singapore has good sushi too so i wasnt rly drooling hahaha. nice food pics nontheless.

specialhuman said...

Apparently you are talking about me.

:S

Do you know how hard it is for us who are studying abroad to take it, when we see people posting up pictures of local food in their blogs? Well, it is like someone who feels like shitting, but when he or she sits on the toilet bowl, the shit just wouldn't come out. So, it feels like we are trying to release something, that is our craving for local food, but it just wouldn't happen. Okay, perhaps I should stop talking about shit, because I have had enough of shit recently.

We always say people who show us those pictures of food are cruel, because they know we will not get to taste them, but yet, they still show to us on purpose. But why not we think the say way, and do exactly the same thing to these people, isn't it? I am studying in Japan, but sometimes I feel that the pictures of food that I post up are mostly Malaysian food, as I do not blog on the Japanese food I have here. So, I will do this time time, in this very post.


But Genki Sushi is available in Queensbay mall and KLCC also.

Blek. :P

specialhuman said...

ops sorry.

Genki Sushi is in KLCC and One-U.

Queensbay one is Sakae sushi

calvin said...

@ ai-ling:
that includes me as well =)

calvin said...

@ alex:
thanks, and that is for you to find it out =P

calvin said...

@ syaza:
why is the genki sushi in your place so ulu one? come this december and i'm sure you will return with a satisfied stomach =)

calvin said...

@ endoru:
we have the same taste bud, eh?

calvin said...

@ =chuanguan=:
haha, serve you right! =P

calvin said...

@ ns29:
yellow plate cost 115 yen, red plate cost 168 yen while the gold plate is 231 yen. i will leave you to do the rest of the calculations =D

calvin said...

@ eric sng:
well, sushi are meant to be eaten fresh. too bad i couldn't tapao for you =P

calvin said...

@ reenybob:
this is coming from someone who wanted to skype with me, but got rejected, right? =P

calvin said...

@ specialhuman:
you read me quite well. yes, i purposely blog on this to see whether you will realise that the person i am talking about is none other than you xD

Bengbeng said...

the fish roe- i am baffled as to how it tastes like? wat does it taste like?

calvin said...

@ bengbeng:
well, they have the springy texture and taste a bit salty, depending on the type you choose. i guess you should give it a try ;)

cl3m` said...

haha,not drooling :P

wait till you try a real sushi bar, blows your mind away!

p.s d unagi does look bad, i never really like ordering unagi at cheaper outlets cause they don't know how to make good ones.

if u ever do come here, i'll bring u to nicer places(harder on your wallets though)

calvin said...

@ cl3m`:
actually, the last line was meant for people back in malaysia. we can get great sushi anytime here in japan =)

to be fair, i don't mind spending that extra sum as long as i get a good deal :)

Endoru said...

Yeah, maybe.
I got a feeling we do enjoy same type of food. :D

Jasmine Teh said...

oo...gosh..so many varities of salmon sushi there...waiting for that post to come out...please don't waste my 'effort' of giving you the recipe:p

calvin said...

@ endoru:
i think it is easy for anyone to have the same taste bud as mine, because i eat almost everything lol xD

there are some exceptions though, like natto for an example >.<

calvin said...

@ jasmine teh:
haha, i will not let you down. but it will be some time before i find the time to try making that ;)

Endoru said...

Natto's good. I used to not able to take it but the ones with small sized beans and a tiny bag of "tare" inside are good. ;)

calvin said...

@ endoru:
perhaps i should give it a try one day :)

K3ViN said...

how was the price 4 eating sushi at japan? i remember last few day ago i went 4 sushi with fren.. u know what.... just 2 of us, we manage 2 eat RM150 wor..... we also dont know what we eat lor :P the food look yummy nia....

calvin said...

@ k3vin:
it depends on how much you are prepared to fork out on the sushi. normal ones are usually about 100 yen (RM 3) per plate. if you go to a better place, it can cost you five to ten times of that :)