Saturday, August 30, 2008

One Main Reason I Am Back

I can bet that there is surely no other better place to find a place which offers such a variety of food but Malaysia. I have seen enough of sushi, ramen, udon, yakisoba, yakiniku in Japan, that the only thing that came to my mind since I landed here roughly two weeks ago is to fill my stomach with as much local delicacies as possible. I feel guilty as I say tis, but who cares. Going for a thirty-minute jog daily should balance up everything. So here are what I have feasted on so far since I came back, and I bet this is just the tip of the iceberg of what I am going to have.
You guys who are still in Japan, sorry lah. You will get all this when you are back the next time, okay?
DSC07372
Curry wantan mee.
I had this when I went down to KL last week and it was actually my first time trying this type of wantan mee. Previously, I only have the common one, which is mixed with dark soy sauce and char siew. Basically, they just replace the dark soy sauce and pour curry and a few piece of chicken on top of the noodle. It is not the best food I have tasted so far, but it is not bad either. Thank you Kae Vin for this meal.
DSC07173
Tosai and roti canai.
I seriously cannot comprehend why they have to increase the price of tosai, roti canai and chapati so drastically nowadays. One piece of tosai or roti canai in Taiping cost RM1. When I was back eight months ago, it was 80 cents. Ain't that too much? I will not do the calculations here, but common sense tells you that you don't use as much flour for a single piece of roti canai, right? I wonder how much a piece of roti canai will cost the next time I am back.
DSC07524
Nasi lemak.
Who can separate nasi lemak with we Malaysians? The one I had was not wrapped in banana leaves, because it is quite rare to find nasi lemak which is sold in banana leaves nowadays. This one only cost 70 cents, and that is why you don't see any groundnuts or boiled eggs coming together. The mak cik and pak cik selling nasi lemak are actually, smarter than the roti canai mamak. They do not increase the price of their nasi lemak, but they cut down the ingredients in every packet of nasi lemak.
DSC07535
Cendol.
To be honest, the cendol you can get here in Taiping will never match the one I had tasted in Penang Road. Although it cost slightly more, I think it is worth it because I love the green strips of cendol, which is not too soft nor hard, just alright. Speaking of cendol, the famous Malaccan durian cendol is the only other one which I think can match Penang's cendol.
DSC07538
Pasembor.
Well, to those Malaccans out there, I know you guys refer this as rojak, but as far as I know, the correct name for this delicacy would be pasembor. Quite a number of my friends who are not from Taiping often ask me what the fish pasembor is before this. Well, it is a mixture of flour fritters, bean sprout, fried tofu, cucumber, turnips, boiled eggs, all cut into small pieces and later, a type of gravy made of groundnuts, called kuah kacang is poured on top of it.
Whenever I am back, my mum will be the busiest person in the kitchen. I am second busiest.
DSC07545
Bak kien.
Will this make my blog a non-halal blog?
DSC07211
Ikan keli (catfish) asam pedas.
DSC07214
Ikan merah (red fish? haha!)
DSC07216
Pajeri nanas.
It may no longer the fruit season anymore, nevertheless I managed to tried on some of the local fruits which I have longed for so much.
DSC07473
Cempedak - be it raw or fried ones, I just love them a lot.
DSC07478
Even if there are extra worms to add more flavour to it.
DSC07166
Custard-apples, but I call it nona more often than not.
DSC07167
Rambutan. Japanese give it a special name; they call rambutan the hairiest fruit ever.
DSC07168
Duku. Recently, I managed to differentiate duku, langsat and rambai, although all three of them look similar.
DSC07170
Shorty banana, planted by my grandma. Me of course, didn't eat these as they are still green.


But this tree is so cute, no?

24 comments:

Bik Ee said...

argh..i miss msia food!

`chwk87 said...

me too...........

zhenhui said...

wah lau eh
sedapnya nattou...
taammmmmmmaaranai...
:)

CRAPPED!! said...

This is one of the rare moment of life where a humble human come to realize that science and technology can sometimes bring DEPRESSION and SUFFERING despite the wonders they also bring.

Why the delicious looking food? Dude!! Have some mercy on people who are unable to go back!!

Endoru said...

Bak kien looks good. Had that the last time I went back. My auntie made some for my home party. The curry wantan mee is very tempting. *hehe*

Tau Sar Phneah said...

it's torturing to see all the food...i'm drooling!!!!

michelleg said...

haha why the nona red skin one? usually it should be purple skin. pasembor looks like indian rojak.. for me la.. =)

TZ said...

Dude, just wondered with all the food u have... how many KG you gain within this period :->

Anyway, enjoy your stay in Malaysia eh!... Let's see whether i will miss the food later or not :-p

specialhuman said...

hey u must post one more post when u visit Penang :)

baocong said...

i'm gonna kill u for posting this!!jk XD

but i really miss ma'sia food.. sob

K3ViN said...

wah, u really torture those tat still stay at oversea...... the food really nice lor...... i like the bak kien lor... it look tasty lor :P

amalina said...

aku balik pun xmakan byk can ko.....

calvin said...

@ bik ee:
who doesn't?

calvin said...

@ `chwk87:
me three =)

calvin said...

@ zhen hui:
your reversed physiology is not working =P

calvin said...

@ crapped!!:
well, i have to admit that one of my intention is to lure you guys who are still in japan at the moment xD

just book a ticket, and pofff, the next thing you know, you see yourself surrounded by these food :)

calvin said...

@ endoru:
my mum actually made kay (chicken) kien as well. but it will never match bak kien ;)

calvin said...

@ tau sar phneah:
eat yourself! lol xD

calvin said...

@ michelleg:
yes, the normal ones i usually see are either with dark green or purple skin. perhaps it is from a different species?

i suppose pasembor is an indian-muslim delicacy :)

calvin said...

@ tz:
lets not discuss about this. but i feel a lot heavier since i came back >.<

you will, sometime later =P

calvin said...

@ specialhuman:
i am not surprised if the penang trip cannot fit into just one post ;)

calvin said...

@ bao cong:
you can always do the same to me one day =P

calvin said...

@ k3vin:
thanks. so, should i hint my mum to open a stall selling bak kien when she retires?

calvin said...

@ amalina:
that is why you will never recognise me the next time you see me, because you will see a baby hippo that time >.<