Sunday, July 27, 2008

Chicken Rice

Have you ever tasted a fusion chicken rice? I bet it is a fat chance that many who can claim to have tried such chicken rice. The fact that I didn't have all the right ingredients for a proper dish of chicken rice, I used whatever I had with me and modified the recipe I got from my mum some time ago. This is not my first time cooking chicken rice but certainly, it is different compared to my first attempt.
I know the recipe below might be weird as it is neither considered a Chinese style or a Malay style. I would prefer to call it a fusion in between the two. I don't think Chinese use cloves when they cook their rice, and it is more common that the chicken is steamed instead of fried. So, the two main thing of the dish - the rice and the chicken are more inclined towards the Malay style. All this while, I have never come across any chili taken together with the chicken rice presented in green colour. But it is hard to get red chillies here in Japan and I just used the last capsicum I had in the fridge. As for the bean sprout (taugeh), it was just a random thing. I guess I took the idea from the famous Nga Hak Choi Kai which is so well-known in Ipoh.
So here is the recipe, which is suitable for two meals and I did it under one hour.
Soup
  • 1/4 cabbage
  • 1/2 chicken bone
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  1. Clean the chicken bone and put it into a pot of boiling water and leave it a while.
  2. Insert the cabbages, followed by some salt and pepper.

Rice

  1. Sauté the garlic and the cloves with some oil.
  2. Add in the washed rice and continue stirring it under low fire.
  3. Add some salt and take out.
  4. Transfer the rice into rice cooker and use the soup to cook the rice.

DSC06237 copy

Chicken

  • 1 skinned chicken breast
  • 2 tbspn black soy sauce
  • 1 tbspn sesame oil
  • Pepper (for seasoning)
  1. Cut the chicken into two thin pieces.
  2. Add in sesame oil and black soy sauce and rub it so that it covered every part of the chicken.
  3. Season it with some pepper and leave it aside.
  4. After a while, sauté the chicken with some oil until it turns black.

Bean sprout

  • 200g bean sprout
  • 1/2 onion
  1. Put the bean sprout into boiling water for less than a minute.
  2. Take out and drain it.
  3. Add some fried onions on top with some oil used for frying the onion.

Chilly

  • 1 capsicum / 2 red chillies
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/4 inch ginger
  • Salt and sugar

Blend all the ingredients with some water.

8 comments:

mg said...

my mom also used clove for her chicken rice.. but she boil the chicken together wit the rice after stir frying it. kinda miss that actually. shd ask recipe from her soon. hehe

Eric Sng said...

oooo....yummy...i like the chicken...

hahah..

specialhuman said...

look nice~ donno taste nice or not lol.

Btw...it's Nga Choi Kai right? What's nga hak kai anyway? lol...

kh said...

still hangus la.. the sign in the dorm says... "when you have hung the pan on the fire do not "...aiya..have to go back and read it again...it took days for the ang moh in my dorm to understand what the sign trying to say...

furaipan wo hi ni kakeru to , zettai ni hanarenai koto

calvin said...

@ mg:
when you have mastered that, tell me okay?
i'm waiting for a plate of malaccan chicken rice from you ^^

calvin said...

@ eric sng:
hehe, thanks :)

calvin said...

@ specialhuman:
i won't get trapped with your line. if i said it is nice, you are just going to ask me to cook it for you, right?

thanks for pointing that out. i am not a cantonese, so i just simply whack some words. but since it's quite black, calling it hak kai is neither a wrong thing, no?

calvin said...

@ kok hong:
your ang moh friend failed his japanese test.
give him a japanese cd =D