Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Railway Museum


"
Haven't we had enough of trains?"
trains, being the main transportation in Japan

.
Our annual school trip for the international students this year took us to a few places in Tochigi and Saitama prefecture in the north east of Tokyo. Unlike previous entries on my trips where I will usually talk so much about the history and detail on the location itself, I will take a different approach this time. After all, I guess most people will just skim through the lines only more often than not. So here it goes.
DSC05393 copy
The design made it looks mor
e like a nuclear plant.
The first location we were taken to were the Railway Museum in Saitama City. Perhaps the name itself sounds boring, but I have to admit that I do not have much interest in trains. Same thing applies to the majority of us and we have no idea why we were taken to such a place. It may sound comprehensible if we are taking some unrelated course like medic or pharmacy. However, everyone of us are in the engineering line, yet we don't have that much enthusiasm on trains. How ironic is that?
DSC05346 copy
Miniature operating train - These trains are replica trains that operate with ATS-P, ATC and other signal safety system. One ride cost 200yen (RM7) but I didn't hop onto one of those because I was too long tall to fit in them =.=
DSC05387 copy
History Zone - Here is where various types of coaches are displayed that dated back almost a century ago. Among them that can be seen in this picture are Class
Kiha 41300 Railcar (top right) and Class ED17 Electric Locomotive (middle left, brown in color).
DSC05351 copy
Also taken from the History Zone from a different angle. Class
Kiha 41300 Railcar is in the middle of the picture.
DSC05357 copy
Class ED40 Abt Rack-and-Pinion Electric Locomotive. The brown paint on the coach makes it look like it was made of wood.
DSC05372 copy
Class C57 Steam Locomotive. The first thing I recalled after seeing this black train was my birthday present I got when I turned four or five year-old last time. You know those train toys that even have railways and smoke comes out from the front locomotive. I will let it run on the circle railway and sit in the centre admiring the train. Sweet childhood memories ;)
DSC05352 copy
Class
Kumoha 40 Electric Railcar behind the platform. But I am more fascinated with the blue signboard "Tokyo" 'coz I think they look cool and classic. They are no more to be seen nowadays.
DSC05367 copy
How the seats used to be last time. I guess it is more comfortable to have wooden seats than the steel ones we have nowadays 'coz it would be more cooling. But there are a few shortcomings as it will be super cold during the winter and if there happens to be a fire, the coach will be burned down very quick.
DSC05370 copy
Class 9850 Mallet Steam Locomotive. The blue tubes behind look more like blood veins to me. Blue colour means deoxidised blood, am I right?
Class Kumoha 455 Electric Railcar (Series 181 Electric Multiple Unit). It is written the word とき (Toki) on the white board in front of the train.Class Kumoha 455 Electric Railcar (Series 455 Electric Multiple Unit). It is used as express train and is still being used nowadays.
DSC05374 copy
The only difference is that the design is much more modern today.
DSC05375 copy
Series 200 Shinkansen. I am quite surprised that not many people understand when I tell them about
shinkansen.
DSC05376 copy
Well, shinkansen refers to the bullet train in Japan.
DSC05378 copy
How the signboard used to be before the invasion of technology. Everything is handwritten and electronic boards are no where to be seen.
DSC05391 copy
Among the equipments used around the railway tracks that are displayed in a room.
DSC05390 copy
The evolution of the seats in the train over the years. The oldest one is the most front one that dated more than a century back.

There was no cushion on the seat that time and I bet our butt will suffer a lot especially during long train rides ;)
DSC05388 copy
The timetable for shinkansen. It really looked different from what we see today.
DSC05385 copy
A replica showing how Tokyo Station used to look like many years back. The original building was burnt down during a fire which broke out some time ago.
DSC05348 copy
This is one of the section of the museum that received the most attention from the visitor called Operation Simulator. We can experience a precise simulation of actual railway operation, from the normal trains until the likes of shikansen. Unfortunately, the queue was too long and we didn't have ample time to try on this simulator.
You know what I was saying in my heart when I know I couldn't try that simulator *points to the guy's T-shirt (on the right)*.
Literally, I mean.
~ to be continued ~

10 comments:

michelleg said...

toy train~~~ do u still have them? hehe..

ns29 said...

interested to see ler

specialhuman said...

tutu train - the way I used to call train when i was still a kid...hehehe

akatsukiotoko said...

Damn for the next Natsu-yasumi i am going there!!!

baocong said...

haha.. neither i am interested in trains.. i just ride them :)

* l like the last pic :D

calvin said...

@ michelleg:
yes, i think so. but it's already spoilt, i guess =\

calvin said...

@ ns29:
you mean the trains?

calvin said...

@ specialhuman:
mine is similar as yours, just that i call them chuchu train ;)

calvin said...

@ akatsukiotoko:
i suppose you love these kind of stuffs a lot, don't you?

calvin said...

@ bao cong:
the long-hour rides aside, they are alright to me ;)