Sunday, March 9, 2008

A New Beginning

"People should not be afraid of their government.
Governments should be afraid of their people."
V in V for Vendetta (2006)
080308.
That will be one of those dates that will enter the record book of our beloved Bolehland. Certainly our country is Boleh in whatever they do and yesterday, the rakyat just proved that we, the Bolehlanders memang boleh. Despite living thousand of miles away from home, I stayed up through the night to witness how the results unfolded. Yes, you can call me whatever you like. Crazy, sick, etc. She called me politic freak, which I beg to differ for a second, at least. The excitement on how did the ruling party and the opposition fared made me pulled myself from the bed early this morning. It will not hurt much for sacrificing my sleep for a few hours once in a while. The signs and indications were there and it was just waiting for the confirmation. Yesterday, the rakyat has sent a clear sign about what are their needs and what is unnecessary and merely bring benefits to certain individuals - nepotism being one of them. Surprisingly enough, but not unexpectedly, it was a complete whitewash to the ruling party in most of the northern states, including Perak.
It would not be the best idea for me to write much thing detailing about the outcome as I am pretty sure there are a lot of other sources out there, and also the fact that I reckon I would be the last best person to give my opinion on politics. I am not a political analyser, but just a little kid from one of the small town in the country. Nonetheless, the rakyat has proved for once how true the quote above is this time around. The national coalition may have lost out big this time, but they should take this as an opportunity to reflect and make amends. On the other hand, the opposition should not let themselves got carried away by their victory. It is time for both parties to deliver whatever promises and policies that they have given to the rakyat before this over the next few years. We all know very well that empty promises will not bring a long-term future for anyone. Time will tell what are the changes that they will bring to the nation, to ensure the rights and welfare of every single Malaysian, irregardless of race and religions is well-taken care to make our country a better place to live in.
I know this perhaps is one of the many post-election's reactions entry that you have read so far. This is merely my personal thoughts and I am just voicing out my opinions as a citizen of Malaysia. I expect there are people with opinions that contradict with mine, but one thing for sure, I am so looking forward to vote when the next general election comes around in five years time. Deep inside, I am sincerely hoping that from this day onwards, the wind of change will bring better things for the nation for the interest of all Malaysian, and more importantly our future generations.
I am still an anak Malaysia, afterall.

2 comments:

Reenybob said...

i love that quote by v for vendetta!
love that movie too <3

calvin said...

@ reena:
the people of bolehland just showed how true that quote is in the election =)