Thursday, March 13, 2008

Earthquake Paranoid

"Really? Just now?
Eeeee so cute"
Kevin Tan reacting,
when I told him I was hit with a quake.
I think there are many better adjectives to describe an earthquake, no?
I experienced two minor earthquakes in the short space of less than a week, and I have begun to have some kind of feeling that a big quake is beckoning. Some had said that a huge quake will hit the Tokyo metropolitan area once every hundred years. The last one - famously known as the Great Kanto Earthquake occurred in 1923 and many are predicting that the next one would be around 2010. Living in a small town hundreds of kilometers away from Tokyo doesn't make my uneasiness any lesser. Perhaps it is just my paranoiac delusions, but I am quite sure that it is just a matter of time before I will be hit with a big earthquake.
I was online-ing in my room as usual yesterday evening when without any ominous warnings, I felt my table with my laptop on it and the fan on the floor just next to the table shook out of a sudden. The first thought that entered my mind was "Another earthquake?!!" It was completely different to the time when I experienced my first quake middle of last year which happened to be a bigger one, as I didn't have a clear idea about what was going on then. But now, I know for a split second that it was a quake. A real earthquake. Leaving that aside, my first immediate act was getting out from my room but the corridor outside was so quiet that I could hear the ants were running and shouting for their lives. I returned to my room thinking that maybe it was just my two legs shaking against the table that caused that shakes. I tried moving my table, but it had me applying some force before my table made a few noticeable movements. To clear all my doubts, I went to the Japan Meteorological Agency site to check on the latest information about earthquakes in Japan that is recorded whenever there is a quake. The latest information showed that it was a minor one occurred in one of the smaller southern island of Shikoku. I waited for a few moment as the latest information is usually updated about five minutes after a particular quake. When I refreshed the site again, this is what I saw.
eq
I am staying just in the proximity of that red cross.
So, I could confirm that an earthquake really happened yesterday evening and I wasn't making that out. The epicenter of the magnitude 3.9 quake was almost identical to the one last July that coincidentally was also around Kashiwazaki, which is about 40 kilometers away from my place, Nagaoka. Just as a matter of fact, earthquakes happen every day in Japan but the majority of them are minor ones, i.e. could hardly being felt. However, after being on the receiving end of two moderate quakes in such a short period of time, I have begun to take some precaution measures. Nothing exaggerated though. I just gathered all my important stuffs, emergency items that I will be taking away first when there is a quake into a small bag. By the way, the quake yesterday didn't last long - only for two to three seconds but it made my heartbeat increased dramatically.
Thankfully, I am still alive today to write this crap post.

8 comments:

Kevin Tan said...

very cute maaa.. bcoz shake a little onli.

lol doesnt make sense anyways

calvin said...

@ kevin tan:
i wonder how would you describe it a big earthquake.
fierce? wild? ganas?

Kevin Tan said...

a big one is sexy.. as in... wOw ur earthquake is so HUGE

pinksterz said...

eh i always want to experience an earthquake you know! :(

K3ViN said...

it really a experience 4 ur lor.... but maybe japan ppl oready rasa until it very normal lioa lor......

calvin said...

@ kevin tan:
that sounds wrong in some ways >.<

calvin said...

@ pinksterz:
me too. but experiencing an earthquake once is more than enough 'coz you will never want to go through a second one.

trust me =)

calvin said...

@ k3vin:
what i have not experienced yet are volcano eruptions, tsunami and typhoon. but i'm not looking forward to all of them at all.