Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A Disturbing Scene

Ever wonder how safe Japan is?
The signs that my trip this time will be full of new encounters were already there even before I took the train from my place to destined place last Sunday night. I took a midnight train which made me waiting at the train station for almost three long-hours as I arrived at the station with the last bus from my college. Do not asked why I didn't walk all the way to the train station or take a cab and arrive just in time for my train; because the former will be an absolutely crazy idea bearing in mind that now is spring but it is still very cold in Nagaoka, while taking a cab to the train station is way too expensive. I was there together with my Vietnamese senpai who was leaving for Nagoya but his train left an hour earlier than mine, leaving me waiting alone there. So I went into the waiting room and a few minutes later, I witness something which left me wonder how safe Japan is after all.
A stout man with a thick moustache and unshaven face in his late fifties, wearing a suit while holding a briefcase came into the room and greeted the rest there. Instantly, I smelled something fishy was going to unfold. Japanese are known for their shy and unfriendly characteristics and it is very uncommon for them to greet strangers that simple. He slowly looked around and saw a young girl sitting just a row in front of me. He made his first few steps towards that girl, walking in such a way like some drunken old man and sat next to her. He tried to make himself to be as close as possible to that girl although there were still many empty seats available in the waiting room. He greeted her and later took out a laminated A4 sized card, slowly began to explain something to that girl, which I couldn't hear clearly as he was speaking in a relatively soft tone. I tried to make out what he was talking and I later found out that he was explaining some Japanese kanji characters to her, and telling her what are the meanings of those kanji.
A weird and silly idea, isn't it?
Who is even interested to pay any attention to such stuff when it was past midnight already? I couldn't recall all the characters he showed to her, but one of them was the kanji 雨 (ame) or rain. The girl initially gave some short responses to him and that made that old man to start his great grandmother stories. Despite so, she continued exchanging words with him, although from her replies and body expressions, I could tell that she didn't seem to have any interest on that old man's stories. Feeling that it could be an opening for him, he slowly tilted his body towards that poor girl, that I estimated his shoulder was tilted almost 30 degrees to that girl. He must be taking that girl as his girlfriend, watching a movie together while trying to show some intimacy. However, she remained composed on her seat without freaking out immediately and move to a new seat straight away. She must be one brave girl I thought.
The rest waiting in that room couldn't be bothered to look at what was happening but being a Malaysian, I couldn't help myself but to kepoh a bit and watched what was unfolding. That old man then took a small packet of some cheap snack and offered it to that girl. She rejected him and returned the snack. But he insisted for her to take it. Again, she rejected. It was something like, "Take lah"and "No, thanks" from the two of them repeatedly. This continued for so many times that I can bet that it was easily more than ten times. In the end, he gave up and kept the snack for himself. Pity him Served him just right. Lucky thing for that girl because soon enough, the train was arriving and that girl quickly made her move away from that guy.
But he didn't give up. He approached another girl but this time, before he could even get himself any closer to his second target, that girl quickly shoved him away. He looked dejected. That facial expression was priceless, I tell you. I was laughing inside for the way she asked that old guy to get lost and the way she quickly ran away from him; also because he failed to hit any targets that night. I was sure that old man was up for something else because after all of us were getting down to the platform to board the train, he remained lazing around alone helplessly.
I wonder if he is still around tonight trying to hit a target.
P/S: I have almost burned out although I am just midway through my trip this time.

10 comments:

zhenhui said...

haha...i actually encountered sumthing like this...
except that it was an old man offering a young woman money for u-know-what!!!

he got nothing in the end though :)

nevertheless eye-opening :)

michelleg said...

so scary.. i would move away and if necessary use some aikido movement. lols.. not that im good at it. been a long time ago since i practice it.

kh said...

you're wrong la.. old people in gakuen like to greet people one... haha...

that old man.. he could be some ohm?.. oum?...some ajaran sesat guy... go find wiki.. i dunno how to spell...

anyway.. terbongkar yourself... you're in nagoya

K3ViN said...

haha terbocor lah ur secert..... ur now at Nagaoka..... keke.. wah soo scary nia.... if i were tat gal.. i sure get up b4 tat old man have chance 2 sit near2 me.... but tat gal really brave lor..... enjoy ur trip then.....

TINTIN said...

emm,..to compare with snatch thieves and kidnap case in Malaysia,..this is small case nia loh..salute that girl,..she is brave!! ^.^

calvin said...

@ zhen hui:
i was thinking that perhaps the man you encountered is the same man, until you mentioned there that he offered the woman some money. he just went to the wrong place at the wrong time i guess.

calvin said...

@ michelleg:
just be alert at all times.
and if you have the time (which i doubt), brush up on your aikido skills :)

calvin said...

@ kok hong:
the friendly old people you meant is totally not like this type who are looking for something else. or maybe the old people in kyushu are different from those from honshu. possibilities.

you didn't read properly. my senpai was taking a different train which was heading to nagoya. i took a later train bound for shinjuku :)

calvin said...

@ k3vin:
i am just wondering if my writings are a little bit hard to comprehend. i live and study in nagaoka but i was going down to tokyo that night.

i guess japanese girls here are too used to coming across this kind of situation that they do not react that much.

calvin said...

@ tintin:
i couldn't disagree more on that. the snatch thieves and kidnap cases back home could go as far as claming the lives of the victims, which is really scary and a sad thing.