Sunday, February 17, 2008

My Blog Turns One

My blog turns one today.
If it wasn't for the Chinese New Year celebration more than a week ago, I would have forgotten about this. I only recalled it since I started my very first entry in the wee hours of Chinese New Year last year. Since then, I have covered quite a wide range of topics although my main intention when I first started my blog was to keep in touch with my families and friends back home. In this entry, I will take a look and reflecting at a few highlights from the past one year.
I used to get questions like how could I keep updating my blog on a frequent basis, considering the rather hectic daily schedule I have. That apart, I was also asked how could I find something new to blog almost every other day without touching on similar topics. I guess the idea just comes out randomly most of the time in which I will find the most suitable way to present it in my entries. When I first started blogging, the entries were mainly based on happenings and articles which I see from everywhere. But it evolved into something different since I came to Japan when I mostly blog on my daily life here and the different way of life and how the Japanese look at things which I encountered in this new place. That is when I come out with some lame entries which were still well received by the readers, to my surprise. One of it would be the toilet story when I thought that it would be better if I hire PCK Pte. Ltd. to do the job for me then.

toilet copy

At times, some of my entries was labelled as contoversial because I didn't consider about the sensitivity of the group I was poking fun at. The one that I could recall instantly would be the sushi and satay story. Please do not click on the link if you can't take lame jokes. It was never my intention to refer that to anyone but some people have taken it seriously, which is why I have toned down quite a lot since then. On a different note, coming to a new country have let me experience a few new things that I would never get the chance to do so back home. You won't get the chance to be hit by a magnitude-6 earthquake and skiing in the snow back in Malaysia, will you?
DSC01809 copy
How about the amazing fireworks display which is an annual event in Nagaoka? I guess there are not many other places that you can get such an huge and breathtaking night atmosphere. The on-the-sea fireworks in Miyajima was equally beautiful as well. Who would have thought that it is possible to launch fireworks from the sea, isn't it? The harmonic music that followed along every launch of the firework made me run out of adjectives to describe the beauty with my limited vocabulary. Nevertheless, it was just a great experience to see something like that.

DSC03300 copy

In between here and there, I will also blog about my travels around Japan and the short trips we had among the foreign students in my college. During the last summer break, I have gone to a couple of summer excursion which was really exciting and I learned several new stuffs along the way. That is the period when my blog entries were filled with tons of travel logs. Getting myself to the location when the first atomic bomb in the world was relased at Hiroshima was really an eye-opener to me; besides having the chance to visit some famous shrine in the old city of Kyoto.
DSC04865 copy
How the city has changed since.
The second part of my summer holiday to Hokkaido was no less exciting either. Every town and city I went seemed to has different thing on offer. The romantic canal in Otaru, the historical buildings in Sapporo, the lavenders in Furano, the Ainu village in Noboribetsu, and the famous morning market in Hakodate. The best thing that I could take from writing these travel logs is that I will be able to recollect those experiences in the latter stage of my life.
DSC09234 copy
The crab in Hokkaido is damn huge and sweet.
My blog took a different change of dimension late last year, when I returned to Malaysia and getting to meet her. Since then, I guess some of my entries might had made a few of you feel like puking. Yes, they are some who actually came to me and told me personally how they felt about those entries. Ironically, it is these people who will return here every time if they are not feeling well and feel like wanting to puke out. I have no idea whether I should be proud for doing such community service by helping people to make them feel better after coming here and puke out.
DSC01214 copy
Anyway, it will become an endless list if I were to mention each and every single one of you who has been a frequent to my blog and giving their unweavering support until today. I am aware that there are a number of silent readers out there as well who has been following my blog, especially my senpais. That is why sometimes I will be put into a shell-shock when they suddenly quote something from my blog entries to me. Here is just a simple request from me to these silent readers. Hope you guys could leave some short messages once in a while so that I will know who are actually reading my blog. Doumo arigatous.
Putting that aside, I has made quite a number of new friends along the way, in which I has got quite closed to with some of them. It is quite amazing that blogging has made me attached to one of them, while travelling with the another one, with some small meeting ups with a few others. I hope I will get to meet up with more of them when I return home again later this year. Initially, I only wanted this to be a short and simple entry, but I ended up writing so much. I guess that will be all about it on the review of my blog for the past one year. I don't know what the coming one year has to offer but for now;
DSC01407 copy
The second candle was a spare one, just in case an earthquake occurs or a heavy snow fall.
Happy one year-old, my blog.

30 comments:

kh said...

2 candles?

mrbherng said...

tanjoubi omedetou!

michelleg said...

happy birthday calvin-myjourney! a long more to go for u.. =P

michelleg said...

i mean alot* hehe.. typo

calvin said...

@ kok hong:
read the caption below the picture once again :)

calvin said...

@ mrbherng:
doumo arigatou gozaimasu :)

calvin said...

@ michelleg:
hehe, no presents for me?

XD

Reenybob said...

aw one year old.... cute cute.


my blog is 3 years old this coming august. u going to send me a present?

vincent said...

cool~i just started mine last nght!!
lol~around da same as yours huh..
yoroshiku ne sempai
lol...
happy bday!had lots of fun reading your blog all year long:)

mackerel tabby said...

eh why got 2 candles? :D
Happy birthday to your blog. happy blogging and stay cute! LOL! i like reading your blog :D

calvin said...

@ reenybob:
send you a present? NO!
but YES if send your blog a present =D

calvin said...

@ vincent:
finally, i managed to pull you out and comment here. anyway, thanks a lot for dropping by for all this while. yoroshiku as well ^.-

calvin said...

@ mackerel tabby:
like what i have said, read the caption below the picture once again and you will know the reason why there are two candles there =P

anyway, terima kasih bebanyak ^.^

kh said...

eh.. since when there was a caption? ... lol ... if not, i didnt read the caption..

calvin said...

@ kok hong:
the caption has been there all this while.
horrr, you didn't read properly >.<

pinksterz said...

I have no idea whether I should be proud for doing such community service by helping people to make them feel better after coming here and puke out.

you are helping to increase the bulemic populations! you think good anot? =.="

p.s. i KNOW why my post was blocked by your uncool hostel: the post contained naked, pussy and maybe breastfeeding too (although that word is nothing 18sx)

pinksterz said...

oh i forgot to say in my previous comment (excuse nak spam saja):

HAPPY ONE YEAR OLD BLOGGY!!! YOUR ARE YOUNGER THAN ME BY A MONTH SO KNEEL DOWN AND HAIL ME YOUR SENIOR! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

michelleg said...

that is cindy's bday cake rite? hehe

calvin said...

@ pinksterz:
yes, of course it is a good thing, especially for people like you =P

they filter it according to the url. so, i think it was because you have the word "incest" in the title of that entry. i know incest has nothing to do with 18sx, but my so-called uncool hostel is just taking early percautions.

my blog is younger than you, but technically, you are much younger than me. now, who is the senpai here?

XD

calvin said...

@ michelleg:
yup, i was looking for a birthday cake with one candle on it, but couldn't get any. so, i just took hers. her name is written on the cake if you look at it properly =P

michelleg said...

yup i saw her name hence that comment =)

K3ViN said...

Happy bird day!!! :P

calvin said...

@ michelleg:
i wonder why the others didn't see her name on that cake and kept on asking me why there are two candles there =P

calvin said...

@ k3vin:
thanks =)

mayc said...

*raises hands and waves*
hallo

calvin said...

*waves back*
thanks a lot :)

lasilasi said...

actually, how did u know michelleg? (in 38 mood la =p)

calvin said...

@ lasilasi:
i know you know how i know her, no?

XD

lasilasi said...

waaahhhhhh.... did u mention before are? hmm i sort of remember you wrote bout that before.... not thru blogging hor... ok if u dun tell i go ask michelle =p

calvin said...

@ lasilasi:
i think i had mentioned about that before, though it was only a vague idea. you can try and ask her to double check with her on my facts =P