Thursday, February 7, 2008

It's A Rat Year

It wasn't that bad as I have thought.
2050000894_19e07a06a6_o
Yayy! It's my year! (picture taken from Flickr)
The reunion dinner might made its absence from me this year, but the five of us in my college had a simple gathering late last night. It started with us walking while enduring the freezing temperature to a convenience shop to get some makan stuff; among others which include a few packets of keropok, two bowls of instant yakisoba, some chocolates, several cans of beer and a bottle of brown tea as a cover-up for those beers. Keropok and instant noodles for the new year. Sounds like so sad only, right?
We however, didn't let the sadness got over us as we kampai-ed together in the kitchen when the clock struck twelve, without the knowledge of the hostel authority that we had smuggled a few cans of beer into the hostel. I will be in deep shit if anyone of them read this – they can just kick me out of the hostel after the end of this entry.
On some lighter notes, my exams continued today with two more paper this morning. One of them which was hard as I had already expected (I call it the killer paper), but I know that I should not be able to fail it, (I think). It was snowing quite heavily early in the morning. Despite the fact that it was not the first time I see snow, nevertheless it was my first time celebrating Chinese New Year away from home, and while it is snowing. Hence, I refer it as the White New Year. There will be one last paper for me to go tomorrow and I will be able to start my planning for this spring break. I just can't be bothered much about tomorrow's paper. My mind is now on the coming holiday already =D
And ohh yea, I made some dessert this afternoon as well.

DSC01975 copy

This is called ang chor th'ng.
Usually, my mum will prepare this dessert in the morning of the first day of Chinese New Year each year. I'm not sure whether I should call it a tradition or a custom, but I have been brought up this way and I just carry on doing it, since I have brought over some of the necessary dried ingredients here. Afterall, it is not the hardest thing to prepare – even easier than frying an egg. However, since I was quite rushing this morning and had not much time to prepare it, I only did it when I came back this evening.
To go along with this dessert, I made myself some mee sua as well.
DSC01999 copy
They said you will live longer when you eat these thin white noodles on New Year's Day or your birthday. However, those mee sua I brought here last month was in such a sad condition that they looked like they had made an emergency landing on my kitchen. That means they ain't long anymore, but crushed to tiny pieces already. Relating this to the beliefs of the older generations, I hope my life span will not be proportional to the length of my mee sua.
Touch wood.

8 comments:

michelleg said...

it's my year okay!! hehe.. ur egg yolk is too raw.. not scared bacteria meh?

stevelee67 said...

your year?

24 yrs old...

no way..

calvin said...

@ michelleg:
don't judge an egg by its yolk =P

calvin said...

@ stevelee67:
yes way, sir =D

syaza said...

mee sua, sedap...post sini!

calvin said...

@ syaza:
you have tried it before?

syaza said...

ada byk kali makan..first time makan kat kedai, lepas tu my mum masak pun ada..

calvin said...

@ syaza:
well, quite surprise actually to hear that you had eaten that before coz' i never heard any malay who had mee sua before ^.-