Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Local Delicacies

This entry contains quite a number of pictures of food which could make people who have been away from home for a long period of time to drool over it. You can either continue reading it; or just leave immediately. I would suggest you to follow the former, and putting the blame on me in the end.
Usually after returning from a trip back to Malaysia, it is highly likely that you would smuggle bring back some local delicacies to be consumed later on. I was not an exception either. Out of the 25kg large luggage, which I had to use the courier service to post it all the way back to my place from the airport for convenience purposes, I can safely say here that almost 90 percent of them consists of food.
Among them are dried stuff like ikan bilis, spices, curry powder, instant coconut cream powder, mee hoon, mee sua, red beans, barley, lemon grass, pandan leaves, curry leaves, asam jawa, mushrooms, instant bak kut teh spices, and many other stuff. The list will never end. To top them off, six packets of Maggi instant noodles of different flavours. I guess that should be enough to last me for at least the next six months. That is not everything, as they were just the dried stuff. I brought back some other snacks from home as well.
To start off will be one whole packet of cashew nuts, which my dad bought when he was in Langkawi several weeks ago. He was there for some course-cum-holiday trip for a couple of days.
DSC01768 copy
Next up will be the Tambun biscuit, which contain green bean paste inside. Although it is called Tambun biscuit, I did not get myself all the way to Tambun to buy the biscuit. It is just the name, as I bought it in my hometown. There is actually another type of biscuit called hiau pia, which I had forgotten to bring it back.
DSC01762 copy
My senpai was asking me to buy her some souvenirs during my trip back this time and I got her some pork floss, also from my hometown. Unlike the others elsewhere which are produced commercially in the factories, this shop actually made the pork floss themselves and it is a family business which has been inherited down the generations. They also sell dried pork, which is commonly put in between bun, like sandwiches.
DSC01766 copy
The last two will be the local delicacies I got from Malacca. They were given to me at the airport before I leave. First will be the famous pineapple tarts which you will never miss when you take a walk along Jonker Street, the Malaccan version of Petaling Street. The one she gave me was a flat type, which tastes better as the pineapple jam is more on top.
DSC01756 copy
Pineapple tarts aside, she also gave me a box of durian dodol. Thanks for those two gifts =)
DSC01760 copy
To be honest, I actually could not believe that I only brought back so few of them, as I was expecting to bring much more stuff back, especially when I snack ALOT at night. Nevertheless, I guess that is still better than nothing.

18 comments:

michelleg said...

then i should've bought the bigger container of tarts.. =) so how many left? 6? haha..

KOKahKOK said...

better than nothing! bring durian kuih back! haha japense LIKEs to et durian hehe...

tambum biscuit....penang is the best la! hehe...next time u come i buy u!

ya lo, bring so less back nia!

calvin said...

@ michelleg:
on my last count, there are still nine pieces left =)

calvin said...

@ kokahkok:
i know we should be generous to others, but all those food i brought back are not enough even for myself, let alone sharing them among the japanese =P

i didn't say anything. so, the next time i go to penang, you should know who will be the first one you should treat =D

amalina said...

xbalik haru nnt ke?

xder nak drool pun ler....wait nnt aku balik nnt...hahahaha~~

ns29 said...

oh gosh...
i want to eat the nuts!!!

calvin said...

@ amalina:
good to hear that you didn't drool =)

no, i don't think i will be back again after such a short gap. looking forward to see what you have to offer from your coming spring trip =)

calvin said...

@ ns29:
even the packet of nuts is 1kg, i have almost finished it in just a couple of days =P

chwk87 said...

i wan to eat too........

CRAPPED!! said...

You bought the dodol!!...

Just so you know, us Melaka locals don't buy them. They don't taste as good as they sound...but then again we have you outsiders who buys them. ...wah ha ha ha..

calvin said...

@ chwk87:
i am sure you will be having much more better stuff when you are back =)

calvin said...

@ CRAPPED!!:
just to let you know, i did not buy the dodol. she gave that to me just before i left for japan =)

anyway, they don't taste as bad as the way you described them either =D

stevelee67 said...

i love to have some of those...especially dodol..

calvin said...

@ stevelee67:
eat too much of dodol and diabetes will come to visit you sooner or later =P

mackerel tabby said...

lol nice pics of food.. yeap I drooled but I don't blame you for that. hehe! so u r back to Japan now?

calvin said...

@ mackerel tabby:
thanks =)
you shouldn't be drooling as you still can have all those food in malaysia. and yes, i am back in japan already.

lyk said...

i want dodol too!!

calvin said...

@ lyk:
the orders from everyone never seem to come to an end.