Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Home Cooked Meals

Those of you who have been overseas for over a period of time will definitely agree that the tendency to crave for local food will crop up after some time. Same thing happened to myself when I was back last month.
Roti canai is usually consumed during breakfast, but there was one night when I was on my way back after some outing when I suddenly thought of having a bite at a soft and hot piece of roti canai. The last piece of roti canai I had was almost nine months ago as all the ones I had so far in Japan, including during the Hari Raya celebrations at the end of last year was just instant frozen ones. It was quite late already and the first place that came to my mind was the stalls opposite of the railway station. There are many other mamak restaurants elsewhere, but I don't really fancy going to those eateries for just a piece of roti canai.
DSC00882 copy
The row of stalls there weren't the best place to get the best roti canai in town, as the ones I usually frequent is only open in the morning. Nevertheless, at least I got to have a taste on a hand-made roti fresh from the pan. I got to know the price of a piece of roti canai had gone up to 80 cents, but when I got mine that night, it stayed at 60 cents still.
Roti canai alone will never complete the combination if there is no capati and tosai to go along with. That is why I asked my mum to buy for me some of those for my breakfast. This time the chutney, a type of gravy for tosai made of coconut meat looked rather different than usual. Chilly was not used this time which made it looked greenish, like some baby food.

DSC01540 copy

On the other hand, the gravy of the capati was quite okay. The most common type of gravy to go along with capati would be the one made of green beans, which looked more like baby faeces to me.
DSC01541 copy
This entry is looking as if I am introducing nothing but only Indian food, isn't it? But to be honest, whenever I am eating, I never thought about the association of that particular food with the specific race. I have my fair share of nasi lemak, yew char kuay, and roti canai for my breakfast most of the time.
Another random one would be kueh bahulu where I got at the newly opened Tesco outlet in my hometown. Since it was freshly baked from the oven, I already started having a bite on them while I was walking to the car park area after doing some shopping there. At least there were still a few pieces left when I reached home.
DSC00847 copy
When I was at my grandma's house at one time, she passed me a piece of kueh which I must admit, is one of my favourites; but is not that common. It is called tepung bungkus and is made from rice flour, salt and santan or coconut milk. The filling inside is made from coconut cooked with brown sugar and the taste is savoury and rich in coconut milk.
DSC01443 copy
I tried my best to have hawker food when I was back during the 2-week break. However, my mum had already drawn up her own personal list on what to cook on each day, which eventually left me with no choice but to eat whatever she cook for me. But of course, I am not saying that it was a bad thing as I got to taste common foods like noodle soup;
DSC00855 copy
to Nyonya curry mee. The curry mee actually does not look like what is being portrayed in the picture, as most of the ingredients which are NOT usually used were added in by myself, like pickled chillies and kantan flower.
DSC00848 copy
When my fourth aunt came down from Penang (just because to I was back from Japan), my second aunt invited all of us to her house as she was trying to make curry mee for the first time. When we were there, everything was already done and just waiting the moment for all of us to whack the food. There were two types of noodles available, one is the normal yellow mee usually used for mamak's mee goreng, and also meehoon.
DSC01448 copy
As for the ingredients, it was curry prawns, cockles cooked in spicy gravy and mint leaves.
DSC01450 copy
However, the thing that impressed me the most was the gravy. It looked just like the ones from hawker stalls.
DSC01451 copy
For a first timer like my aunt, the curry mee was not bad.
DSC01454 copy
When there is a feast like this, it is not a surprise to see people making a few rounds of curry mee.
DSC01455 copy
All was so busy eating until didn't bother to pose for the camera also.
As for me, after I finished my bowl of curry mee, I was offered a glass of fruit juice. It looked pinkish red. I know it was not watermelon juice.
DSC01458 copy
I wonder what my little cousin was thinking.
I was later told that it was a carrot and tomato juice. No wonder it tasted like I was going through a Fear Factor challange!

13 comments:

`chwk87 said...

i'm hungry now........

Reena said...

i am comenting on ur blog while sitting at macdonalds, eating a nice burger, sipping ice green tea and relaxing like i got no busines in the world :D haha. btw ur last expression is funny. i once drank coke+sprite+pepper+salt+icecream all mix tgr.. super gross. urs is just amateur ok HAHAHA

amalina is drooling right now..... said...

u Calvin....!!!!!!!I am going to cekik YOU!!!!!!You r lucky as nagaoka isnfar away from niihama or I surely cekik u.but wait...can my hands reach ur neck?nevermind...ILL tanam u dalam snow....

I was -n still- drooling looking at those yummy looking roti canai....(guek!!!!my laptop!!!basah2!!!!!)t i didnt feel hungry....AAAAAAA CALVIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




btw,what kind of camera r u using?

and once more CALVIN ILL CEKIK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amalina is drooling right now..... said...

u Calvin....!!!!!!!I am going to cekik YOU!!!!!!You r lucky as nagaoka isnfar away from niihama or I surely cekik u.but wait...can my hands reach ur neck?nevermind...ILL tanam u dalam snow....

I was -n still- drooling looking at those yummy looking roti canai....(guek!!!!my laptop!!!basah2!!!!!)t i didnt feel hungry....AAAAAAA CALVIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




btw,what kind of camera r u using?

and once more CALVIN ILL CEKIK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

calvin said...

@ chwk87:
it was not intended...

calvin said...

@ reena:
is there a difference between an amateur and a professional drink? anyway, i am very sure that you paid countless visits to the toilet after your pro drink that time, didn't you? =P

calvin said...

@ amalina:
fuiyo, that made you post the comment until twice? haha, why are you guys reacting as if i have commited a sin or a crime? anyway, if you plan to bury me in the snow, get ready a cangkul first =P

i am using Sony DCS-T100 currently. does that also made you want to strangle me?

ns29 said...

gosh..
the shining in red curry..
the not in good look roti canai..which i guess japanese wont feel like eating at all..but so tasty for us malaysian!!!!!

no worries..
i am one month to go to all these..

calvin said...

@ ns29:
i admit my roti canai doesn't look that appealing but still, it was still better than nothing =D

one month from now, i will be in your position, craving for all those food >.<

amalina wanna cekik calvin said...

haha...no need for cangkul la.i just heret u under a tree-yg penuh ngn salji- n kick the tree trunk hard till all the salji jatuh atas u.haha


no lar.got nuthing if i strangle u coz u own that sony.i wanna buy a new camera.

tgu la till i go back nnt...

zhenhui said...

oi...KY da naaa omae....
put la 1 BBIIIGGGG picture of tesco...
demi anak sejati taiping seekor lagi ini yang belum berpeluang menikmati keseronokan balik ke kampung untuk bertemu dengan sanak saudara dan darah dagingnya... :(
where is it anyway??
kamunting???the place behind my house??
how's the design like???
a lot of people???
the prices???
the sales assistants cute???
a lot of husbands waiting while their wives shopped???
got other shops besides tesco itself???
apa kesan ekonomi terhadap kedai kedai runcit yang hanya bermodalkan kepercayaan dan layanan ramah tamah terhadap pelanggan pelanggan setia???

J-A-W-A-B

:)

Quachee said...

hey nice entry here you got on malaysian food :) even the nyonya kuih! haha.

nice photography you've got :)

calvin said...

quachee:
thanks. but no more malaysian food or nyonya kuih for me anymore for the next six months, at least =\