Tuesday, September 4, 2007

三段峡 (Sandankyo)

AUGUST 17, 2007
The plan for today is to do hiking at a gorge in 三段峡 (Sandankyo). So, we will be taking the streetcar from the nearest stop near our hostel, then the express bus to Sandankyo. Before I proceed any further, let me give a brief introduction on this streetcar.
Shiyakusho Mae
Shiyakusho Mae is the nearest stop from our hostel.
Basically, we have been walking around the city as the places we have been going were within walking distance from one another. But, when it required longer journey, like the one to Hiroshima port on our way to Miyajima; or to Hiroshima Eki, we take the streetcar.
Streetcar
It looks similar to those trams in UK and Australia. It cost 150yen (RM5) every time you board the streetcar, regardless of the distance. For example, if you take the streetcar and got down at the next stop which will be separated for about 150 meters apart; or board it from the first stop and got down at the final stop, they charge you the same amount.
Get it? But that's not the main topic for this entry. Well, after reaching Hiroshima Eki, we took the bus to Sandankyo. There were too many tunnels throughout the journey until I lost my count on that. After traveling for about 40 minutes, we reached our destination.
IMG_1199
I will take a different approach this time in this entry as I won't be telling much about this place. I guess the pictures will tell everything.
DSC05032
DSC05037
DSC05040
DSC05047
DSC05051
DSC05055
DSC05056
DSC05070
Wonder who took this shot for us.
IMG_1228
DSC05087
DSC05089
DSC05091
DSC05094
IMG_1258
DSC05097
After trekking along for more than 5 kilometres (out of 11 kilometers) up and down the hill, we came to see this sign.
DSC05099
It was a sign of a possible rock fall ahead. Actually, there was already a sign earlier which prohibited us to walk any further than that sign. But we ignored it.
Seeing this sign, we felt it was kinda wasted to walk all the way back without reaching our destination. But I recalled the band from PPKTJ, 安全第一 (Safety First). That left me with no choice but to just return to the starting point.
Well, not everything is lost, as we continued to take photographs along the way. Some flowers we came across.
DSC05104
DSC05109
And back to the normal shots.
DSC05105
DSC05113
DSC05117
And some camwhoring session on the hanging bridge.
IMG_1276
IMG_1279
Okay, enough of camwhoring. Back to the scenic photographs from the trekking down.
DSC05120
DSC05121
DSC05122
DSC05123
DSC05125
DSC05130
DSC05132
DSC05133
DSC05134
DSC05136
DSC05148
DSC05140
And a mini tunnel.
DSC05143
DSC05144
IMG_1301
I just can't seemed to get enough of camwhoring session, even in the middle of the forest, can I? Well, all the shots above came from this guy.
IMG_1294
Looks familiar, eh? And here is my partner Kok Hong, who was busy taking pictures of some birds on the tree.
In Action
Since the bus going back will only be at 3 p.m. and it was just around 1 plus that time, we decided to take a rest near the river.

DSC05153

This is the original picture.
IMG_1321
But Kok Hong photoshop-ed it, adding him into the picture, and I got this.
IMG_1322
Well, we played stones throwing as well. Initially, we played the common one, where you use thin stones and throw it sideways, until it looks as if it is jumping a few times on the water surface.
But there were not much thin stones that time. So we played the simplest game. We used some big rock and threw into the water.
IMG_1326
Not enough with just one, we doubled it.
IMG_1320
After playing stones and rocks throwing, we took a short nap, only for me to find out this later on.
IMG_1328
Before you say anything, I wasn't posing or anything on the rock. I was really napping.
We later took the bus back to Hiroshima, and had a light snack at Subway as we only had some snack bars while trekking.
DSC05155
Then, we returned to the hostel. We have been staying in Hiroshima for several days, and I’m yet to mention about the place we have been staying all this while. We stayed at Hiroshima International Youth Hostel (Aster Plaza).
Youth hostel as it may sounds, until you see this.
IMG_1331
And this.
Cosy
It can be considered as hotel standard already, no? And while each of us had a stick of ice cream each…
IMG_1359
I snap Kok Hong (KH) snapping me snapping KH snapping me snapping KH snapping me snapping KH snapping me snapping KH snapping me snapping KH … (This will never end)
We later went for dinner and again, we had this.
Hiroshima Udon
Well, that was actually some earthworm we came across while trekking earlier that day. We called it Hiroshima Udon. As for dinner, again it was ramen.
Ramen
And this time, as we had gone to the same shop for the THIRD time, with the food coupon, we got this plate of gyoza F.O.C.
Gyoza
After dinner, we went for a bowling game. This time, I couldn't even manage to get a strike in two game. Kok Hong got one. But guess what was the final result?
I may well keep that a secret. But one thing for sure is that we enjoyed watching at the TV screen more than bowling. Not for checking the score, but to look at this.
Kawaii-nism
I wonder when the bowling centres in Malaysia will take this idea. But I'm not too sure about how it will be presented.
Maybe something like this.
Aurat-nism
I'm pretty sure that bulu-bulu goat from New Fort will have no objection on this.
P/S: This is just a simple request from me. If you don't mind, could you list me the best 3 shots at Sandankyo in the comments box. Thanks.

2 comments:

michelleg said...

ALL NICE SHOTS!!!!!!!!!!

ur photography skill definitely improved. waterfall was nice, the reflection thingy was nice, macro of pink flower NICE. i like the reflection, a bit like artistic to me =)

i like the water was green in colour.

cosy room huh. sesuai for both of u i guess =P

Calvin said...

@ michelleg:
thanks. personally, i like the macro of pink flower as well =)

yup, the room was just perfect for both of us ^.-