Saturday, July 14, 2007

First Weekend Cooking Experience

I have came a long way since my first cooking experience in Japan. Remember the instant ramen which I cooked not long ago? That was my first time cooking since I came here. Later, it followed up with my spaghetti which was really nice. You know why? It's because I was using an instant sauce for that. So I assume that is not counted. Use instant stuff, who also can cook right?
Since this weekend will be a 3-day break, then I can have some experiments in the kitchen. As for last night dinner, initially I wasn't sure what to cook although the stuff were everything there. After think think think, I came out with this.
White rice, mixed vegetable which consist of broccoli and carrot, fried egg mata lembu and some pumpkin stuff.
As you can see, the rice was okay which was a surprising thing considering how frequent I cook porrice. I called it porrice because it's between porridge and rice. But the telur goreng mata lembu (is that the correct term for it?) didn't really turn out to be mata lembu. It hancur-ed when I turned it. I guess I should call it telur goreng mata sepet ^.-
As for the pumpkin thing, it's just some kind of like nugget stuff. Instead of chicken inside, they put pumpkin in that thing. All those above cost me one-damn-long hour!
Calvin's personal rating: 6/10
As for today, after kena pulled by who-else but Joann to teman her out, by the time we came back, it was already almost 2pm. Oo yea, the reason I kena pulled was because her camera was sick. Just like its owner! Later went to do some groceries which she ended up buying more stuff than I did. Girls ma. Nothing surprising.
By the time I'm back, I was damn hungry already. So, I straight headed to the kitchen and again, undecided on what to cook. I went ahead with my initial plan and this is the result.
White rice, fried cabbage and the main dish - black pepper chicken. But this time, I cooked porrice! Luckily it was saved by my main dish. Black pepper chicken. I know it doesn't look black, but I didn't have tau euww (kicap pekat) with me. Or maybe the Japanese memang doesn't use tau euww?
Anyway it was still edible, which was the main point. As for the taste, I won't comment much. If I say nice, you will think I high nose. If I say not nice, you will say "Haiya, normal la... guys ma"
So, I'd better keep my silence for once.
Calvin's personal rating: 7/10
UPDATED: The telur mata lembu is actually called telur mata kerbau or bull's eye egg.

10 comments:

michelleg said...

not bad! looks ok to me.. i think u need some skill to cook the bull's eye egg. practice makes perfect! :)

Calvin said...

michelleg: actually hor, the oil was too hot. then it pecah when i was taking it up from the pan. never mind la. sepet but still edible ma :P

michelleg said...

haha.. i can cook perfect mata kerbau now :P

Calvin said...

michelleg: but your mata kerbau got wear any spectacle or contact lense or not wor? :P

michelleg said...

LLLLAAAAMMMMEEEEE~~~ :)

t@ng_y1! said...

not bad what...

Innocent^^Guy said...

seriously, look like something i will eat! Not bad ler! The fried thing looks like mashies :P Dun kembang ok?

Now is the bad comments part...y ur egg a lot of hitam hitam wan? It's either u put pepper or u nvr use fresh oil! And its call mata kerbau! Direct translation from Bull's Eye and not Mata Lembu cos that will be Cow's Eye!

Calvin said...

tang yii: kam sia kam sia :)

Calvin said...

calvinsenpai: i baru want to kembang nia, you came in with the second paragraph ady! -.-

my telur mata kerbau? yes, it because i used second-hand oil. that show's how expert you are in this cooking thing. sasuga calvinsenpai desu!

t@ng_y1! said...

mai khek khi...